Nissan Teana. feedback

gumbootgypsy, Feb 17, 8:54am
I'm thinking of purchasing a Teana, would appreciate any sort of feedback on this vehicle . positive or negative. thanks

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 9:04am
Avoid the 2.5, its a terrible failure of design. The very last cars (2008) may possibly have the revised and better version but the majority with have the rubbish one. They are notorious for burning oil, due to some serious design flaws, Nissan did various recalls and warranty replacements but I don't think the early warranty replacements were of much help.

(BTW, this is a board full of used import dealers etc. ANY bad press against ANY Japanese car will be heavily stomped upon. cue the character assassins and their ilk any second now. )

jmma, Feb 17, 9:21am
When someone states these things are wrong with a vehicle, they need to state where these facts come from and some links!
(BTW the above poster is a Euro fanatic and will take any chance to diss a Jap vehicle. cue to call me a troll now. )

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 9:30am
Go find your own links, I am not here to prove anything to you. Either the OP can do their own research and see what I say is true or listen to the soothing tones of the Importers and their ilk sweeping everything under the rug.

It's no skin of my nose either way, and I won't be wasting my time running around collecting links to try and prove every little point to a professional troll who spends their life doing little more than running from thread to thread trying to discredit me.

tsjcf, Feb 17, 9:36am
2.5 should be a VQ25DE been around since 94/95 A good V6 if looked after even Renault have used them.
Post some links to these so called problems or are you just making things up again.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 10:24am
2.5 is the nasty lemon, and it's the 4 cylinder found in the 4WD Teana's. I have seen how rubbish this engine is in other models (notably the Presage) and made a note of avoiding it in all models. At least the early version.

2.4 (or 2.3 as it's technically about half way between the two) is the V6 which is probably OK

Just be aware though that some dealers incorrectly list the V6 as being 2.5. Look for it being 4WD or look at an engine bay picture to tell the difference. Most will be the V6 as the 2WD is the more popular version by a long shot.

Hope that helps clear some confusion up for you OP. I will leave the thread and stop responding to the trolls now as it will no doubt explode with trolling and become to difficult to follow if I don't. Best of luck with your purchase.

ema1, Feb 17, 11:29am
Totally alarmist and misleading as usual from the Euro/Google warrior,
The bulk of Nissan Teana cars in NZ and pretty much all those listed on Trade Me are in fact V6 models, or am I going blind, there were 2litre 4 cylinder 2WD models but few compared to the V6 versions.
The 4WD model isn't here in anywhere the same numbers as the V6 2WD version, very few in fact.
The 2.5 litre 4 cylinder ones were having problems in North America for sure but those issues have been sorted since around 2009-10.
The V6 jobs were all recognized as being a good engine. full stop.
Sold new in NZ they were badged as Maxima's. until recently as far as I'm aware.
Driven heaps of them and I rather like them too FYI . O/P.
Speaking from experience . not conjecture.
The V6 came in 2349cc, 2495cc and 3498cc
NZ new Maxima's were pretty much all the 3.5litre (3498cc)

ema1, Feb 17, 11:46am
Earlier . pre 2003 Maxima's were 3litre (2988cc) jobs.

thewomble1, Feb 17, 11:52am
Maxima's are 3.0 or 3.5 litres Under 3l ie 2.5 litre were badged Teana

ema1, Feb 17, 12:21pm
Teana models were JDM and came out with 2.4, 2.5 and 3.5 V6's. Some 4WD were 2.5 litre 4 cyl.
Some Teanas also came out base models as 2.0litre 4 cyl.
Early Maxima's pre 2003 NZ new were 3.0 litre V6and it's JDM equivalent was badged as Cifiro and had a 2.5litre version as well as 3.0litre V6.
Cifiro name on JDM models was discontinued some time back.
All NZ new Maxima's from around 2003-4 were all 3.5litre.V6.
Since the Renault/Nissan tie up Teana's shared platforms with Renault's Laguna cars, from around 2006-7

tamarillo, Feb 17, 6:19pm
Hi, have you driven one yet? Do do and make sure you are happy with behaviour of cvt box, which as you may know is a very different animal from a conventional torque converter auto.
You might find it fine, many do, some don't like the seeming disconnect between engine noise and motion at times. Not a lot of cars use them in bigger engined models, Nissan being one of few, so so check your happy.

vtecintegra, Feb 17, 6:37pm
The four came from after Renault started their aggressive cost cutting, whereas the 6 is a much older Nissan design. Regardless you don't want the 4wd version anyway (if you do need 4wd there are far better options)

kazbanz, Feb 17, 9:48pm
Teana comes with a few drivetrain/engine combinations.
2300cc with a CVT
2300cc with a 4 stage auto
3500cc with a cvt
and a 2500cc all wheel drive.
there were a very few oddballs released with a 2.0l engine--ive persionally never seen one.
By a country mile the most common teana is the 2.3l with CVT or 4 stage auto.
In my opinion they have the comfort and useable power of the Nissan maxima of that era (2004-2010) by useable--yes the max is a 3.5 but the 2.3 seems to have the same grunt up to and about 20% beyond the legal speed you can drive in NZ
I sell on average one a month of the 2.3l and haven't had one customer come back with a mechanical issue.
I quite like them to drive as they are a pretty comfortable car. Mrs kas finds the seats a bit low.

ema1, Feb 17, 10:02pm
Yes I have mostly the 4 speed "conventional" auto one a friend has pretty sure its a small engine version never bothered to take notice of the engine size to be honest but it goes very well and good on long trips.
I've been a passenger in the same car often as well, my friend has never had any issues with it at all in the 3 years he's had it.
Driven a number of others including the CVT ones various times as well plus several of the 3.5 NZ new Maxima.
I guess my pick of them would be the Maxima 3.5 litre, but that's me, in fact any of them would suit me rather nicely.

ema1, Feb 17, 10:20pm
I've seen that body shape in 2litre badged as Bluebird down here a few weeks back and that's the only one of those I've seen, fairly plain compared to the V6 ones.
Same as you kaz never seen a Teana 2 litre badged as such.
Can't recall seeing any of the so called 4WD ones either, not to say there aren't any.
Perhaps they'd pop up in higher density places like our big cities I don't know for sure.

ema1, Feb 17, 10:46pm
I realize tamarillo you were asking the O.P. in post #13 about whether he'd driven one yet.
I gave my experience of same Re #16, I guess time will tell as to the longevity of the CVT , there have been issues but mainly due to incorrect servicing or indeed lack of servicing as they are very much reliant on a strict regular servicing regime.
Correct fluids and fluid levels etc is an absolute must with the CVT.
Lots of them have a "fail safe" feature that activates before serious damage can occur, but if you're out miles away from any service centre and it goes into limp mode or other then the merits? of the type could come into question.
That indeed can be said for any unforeseen mechanical failure of course.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 12:38am
Its hardly a full and comprehensive sampling I know this -because its my job to know about makes/models I did a look through 10 days worth of Jap auctions and can't find any 2.0l tiana's
The 2.0l sylphy (and 1.5 incidently) is a similar shape but not the same car.
Im NOT saying you are wrong because 10 days aint a big enough sample

kazbanz, Feb 18, 5:50am
ahh yea no worries tghats the 06-10 sylphy

westwyn, Feb 18, 10:31am
The Teana was never sold in Japan as a 2-litre- the smallest displacement was the 2.3-litre versions. That's not to say there wasn't an export-only version sent to some far-flung outpost as a 2-litre! But in Japan, no.

ema1, Feb 18, 11:33pm
Yep exported they certainly were.
China, Singapore, Malaysia, Pakistan, and lots of other Asian countries all got the later J32 exclusively with the MR20-DE 2.0litre 4cyl.
The earlier J31 4 cyl 2.0 litre. QR20-DE not sure what markets had them, but JDM did get a few initially.

westwyn, Feb 19, 12:11am
Ah-ha. Thought so, I had a glimmer in my mind I'd seen these mentioned somewhere, but my JAMA books gave no production for the JDM market. Clearly not a compliant model for NZ, then.

w202merc, Feb 20, 1:21am
I would rather have a 350GT Skyline.

kazbanz, Feb 20, 1:35am
check driving school specials

gumbootgypsy, Jun 5, 11:16pm
thanks for the info everyone. much appreciated.