Peugeot cars

kartracer75, Aug 1, 2:41am
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a 206 GTi. They seem like pretty cool cars. Is there anything in particular i should look for when viewing? Any quirks that are common. They aren't overly expensive, but then they aren't well known for being super reliable! Any tips would be appreciated thanks

saxman99, Aug 1, 3:04am
Avoid automatics, other than that they should be pretty good.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 3:27am
+1 Auto is the only bad thing about them really.

kartracer75, Aug 1, 3:31am
Good thing i hate driving auto cars! ;)

jmma, Aug 1, 4:19am

tamarillo, Aug 1, 4:55am
Not particularly well made, so make sure it's good and everything works well, including electrics. I wouldn't want a high miles one, despite liking peugeots very much.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 7:09am
Go to a british forum and see what they say. Based totally on Numbers they will have a better spread of known issues and solutions.
Then double the parts prices to convert to kiwi money and add 25%
Take the labour prices as being bang on--English mechanics charge out at about pound for dollar to our guys

2sheddies, Aug 1, 7:21am
Luckily it's nowhere near as difficult to find a good selection of manual Euros as it is Japanese equivalents.

gman35, Aug 1, 10:38am
OK, if you are a man you need, actually you just HAVE to find a nice 205 ( the 1.9l last model would do brilliantly). The 206 was "slightly dressed up candy floss" at best. Nice Peugeot's ended with the admittedly larger 406 coupe/407 sedan. The smaller ones of that era (and up until now) just have no cred. or desirability at all, the ridiculus looking 407, and whatever it is that they make today (in smaller or larger cars) have no interest for enthusiasts.
So in short, it's a 205 if lucky with this older model, or get a Ford Fiesta ST /Renault Clio sports model.

djrandomguy, Dec 1, 1:27am
The 407 has aged better than a lot of it's contemporaries the 308 [coty 2014] is now on par with the golf. As for the 206, even in standard form the 206 gti will kick the 205's ass and the GTi180 is better again. Prices are good now, parts are easy and the engines are strong if looked after. I have owned 205gti's and 106gti's and whilst I do love them as point to point cars they lack outright power in a straight line and the 205 never learned to idle.