Mazda Atenza Noise - any ideas?

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 4:48am
Hi,
Started our 2003 Atenza today, put in reverse and moved off - heard a clunk which I'd assumed was a brick in the drive being knocked as we drove off. Everything fine for the day, then when driving hearing this clunk, clunk clunk sound - sort of sounds like it's coming from the right front of the car - maybe from underneath. Hearing it when still ie, at lights or in driveway - both when in gear or in reverse. Everything feels like it's driving fine. Could be happening when driving but can't hear it. Anyone got any ideas?

bjmh, Aug 12, 4:54am
neighbours cat ?

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 4:55am
If it's that should I expect to hear a meow or maybe "red oil" under the car?

floscey, Aug 12, 5:28am
engine mount ?

tamarillo, Aug 12, 5:55am
Torque converter maybe?
Does it do it neutral?
Clunks when not moving is just not good. I'd be getting it seen to quickly.

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 6:01am
Doesn't seem to do it in neutral. Was playing around before - at it's loudest when in reverse, not as loud in gear. Not really hearing it in neutral.

marmar1, Aug 12, 6:43am
Sounds like lots of money.

brapbrap8, Aug 12, 7:08am
Loose wheel nuts.

extrayda, Aug 12, 7:40am
Check trans fluid level and see if it smells burnt. If it does $$$.
Alternatively as above, engine / trans mount.
Does it get louder I as the revs increase?
I had a clunking from the front of my cefiro and it ended up being a broken alternator bolt, so alternator was moving about - wasn't even a constant noise.

stevo2, Aug 12, 7:51am
^^Agreed^^

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 7:51am
Doesn't smell burnt or get louder as revs increase. Will book it in at the Garage and hope for the best. Only started today. Was the wife who noticed it when she was out and about. Will see what it's like in the morning.

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 7:52am
Will check the wheel nuts - had tires replaced about a month ago so you never know.

extrayda, Aug 12, 8:18am
"Hearing it when still ie, at lights or in driveway" If you mean it does it when it is not moving at all, not likely to be wheel nuts. My guess is still engine / trans / exhaust mount. Please let us know once you find out. Love the 'red oil' comment.

stevo2, Aug 12, 8:21am
Oops, my bad. I missed the bit about it clunking when stationary.
Apart from that, it has wheel nuts written all over it.

fordcrzy, Aug 12, 8:56am
MZR engined cars like mazda 6 and mondeos are notoriuos for the aux belt tensioner failing creating weird cluncking. get that checked. easy job to replace mechanic should be able to change one in half an hour.

nzvanfan, Aug 12, 9:00am
Cheers for the tips - will get it checked out in next few days and let you know.

nzvanfan, Oct 7, 5:21pm
Okay - so an update. Garage took a look at it - thinks its the alternator. Was all a bit over my head but something to do with the alternator / clutch / powering down is what I think he said. Either way it's going back in to have the alternator taken out etc. Apparently seen it in other Mazda's. Will see what this ends up costing to fix.