Mineral scale/water marks on windscreen

quackbang, Mar 20, 11:46pm
Gday team My windscreen has mineral type marks covering te whole windscreen and its bloody hard to see through, option one is find something to clean it or option 2 is break it for a new one. Any ideas what I could use to clean it. thanks

theram1, Mar 21, 12:19am
I have remove water marks from side windows and mirrors using paint cutting compound.

fatman08, Mar 21, 2:41am
Yes, we had similar issues at the Onga Transport Depot in the '80s.
Tried the use of various chemicals, in the end would bring a couple of buses into the garage daily and had someone cutting the windows with cutting compound & airpolisher.

fordcrzy, Mar 21, 5:50am
Yes use water based paint cutting compound. some will tell you all soets of rubbish like toothpaste jif and brasso which is all total rubbish. use only water based cutting compound that car painters use on thier machine buffers. simply rub on with cheese cloth watered down so its about like runny toothpaste.

ceebee2, Mar 22, 12:45am
I have used G2 from Repco on a power drill and it does an excellent job on auto glass.

franc123, Mar 22, 3:36am
Use household steel wool.

trade4us2, Mar 22, 3:41am
Rubbing by hand with Cerium Oxide on a damp cloth should work.

mrfxit, Mar 22, 8:31pm
Almost right . ;-(

Steelo brand SOAPY Steel pads (NOT the stainless version)

Extra detergent & keep the froth down to a minimum with minimal water.
Flat hand with gentle strokes just the same as normal polishing methods
Rinse with lots of water when done

Done this on a lot of cars including our own when they get bad & normal washing won't work

mrfxit, Mar 22, 8:32pm
Found out recently that it's also a common recommendation on USA camper/RV forums

beast9, Mar 23, 7:45am
cut a lemon in half rub across window then wipe of with clean dry cloth works

petermcg, Apr 14, 2:15pm
Yes this is the way, it works just like windowleen, rub it on, let it dry, rub it off. edit and I forgot to say this is how you do your glass shower door also,,, you can also use your random orbital with a soft pad to do the rubbing.