Towing with the adventra. Springs are soft. ideas?

jason18, Jan 2, 6:13am
07 adventra. Chucked cherry picker on the back and it sits quite low. What do I add to prop it back up? Do I get those air bag kits? Or should I just upgrade the springs?

rema, Jan 2, 6:26am
there is a hd tow package available heavier grade towbar plus springs

jason18, Jan 2, 6:38am
I have a towbar tongue I borrowed that suits the 2100kg tow rating. Just need to sort the suspension. Will look into the stiffer springs.

whqqsh, Jan 2, 7:05am
dunno if you can get them for modern cars but Ive put air adjustable shocks in the rear of my old 97 Falcon, back in the day heaps of cars had them, just rock up to the tyre pump at the gas station & pump up to whatever you need

jason18, Jan 2, 7:10am
Yeah I see some adventras had self leveling ones but mine doesn't. Might use the falcon till I get it sorted.

supernova2, Jan 2, 8:18am
Sounds like you have too much downforce on the tow bar. The cherrypicker is probably nose heavy and also maybe designed to be towed by something with a higher drawbar. If is any of that then you need a better cherrypicker.

IMHO a towbar on an Adventra is more for looks than for serious towing.

jason18, Jan 2, 8:22am
A lot of weight is at the back of the picker. Seems not to heavy at the front but yeah I'm not 100% sure. The falcon with the leaf springs was awesome. Seems these shocks are quite buggered. If I could afford something better yo tow it with (like the van) I would definitely upgrade but need this to get me through.

gpg58, Jan 3, 9:48am
i fitted air shocks and slightly heavier springs to my 05, it was a good tow car with its traction control. Full gas takeoffs only got tyres doing a very light scrable for grip before it just nailed it, on shingle!
also fitted light truck all terrain tyres, 16 inch but forgotton size. I had them on BMW z3 roadster rims, which were the only ones that clear the discs/calipers for 17inch factory wheels.

jason18, Jan 3, 10:22pm
You had an adventra? Yeah I'm thinking air shocks will be the go. It has taken two days for the height to go back to the normal ride height so I would say the shocks are knackered

morrisman1, Jan 3, 10:42pm
how heavy is the cherry picker & trailer combo?

jason18, Jan 3, 11:10pm
2.1t is entire weight. Unsure what the front tongue weight would be tho. Doesn't bring the falcon suspension down much

ratzos, Jan 4, 1:46am
Have you thought about a load levelling device like a Hayman reese load levelling device or similar? Worth their weight in gold and will bring it right back up level for a fraction of the price of new springs or bags

gpg58, Jan 4, 6:01am
yes csd365.

Re, I have a towbar tongue I borrowed that suits the 2100kg tow rating, i am fairly sure the std towbar is only 1 tonne, so just putting a 2.1 tounge on it is possibly a recipe for disaster(check the plate on the bar, it was tucked up under bumper and hard to see on mine).

dave653, Jan 4, 6:40am
Can't see how crook shocks would 'come back to the normal ride height after two days'
Springs hold the car up, shocks control the bounce.
I had air shocks many. many years ago, were leaking so binned them.
As for heavy duty springs. remember, when you're not towing anything they will ride like a dray.

jason18, Jan 4, 6:45am
Oh right the springs may be shot. The might be time for a full swap out

jason18, Jan 4, 6:52am
It say 1.6t but have been researching that holden upgraded the tow rating with a bigger tongue size

jason18, Jan 7, 3:45am
Have researched and have ordered some 30mm raised king springs for towing and new shocks. As nfound out the towbar needs a brace across it and attaches to wheel well for the 2.1t upgrade.

dave653, Jan 9, 4:12am
Hee hee, going for the hotrod look? Arse up, nose down. ready for action!

jason18, Jan 9, 8:34am
Haha hellllllll yeah lol

mad_signtist, Jan 12, 8:11am
Ok have bought two sets of springs. Standard but 40% stiffer, and the 30mm raised ones.

The tongue weight is either 100kg or 181kg. As in this website PDF

http://www.genielift.com/en/idc03/groups/webcontent/@web/@awp/documents/web_content/ucm03_089457.pdf

jason18, Jan 13, 10:27pm
575 inc get for new stiffer standard height springs and heavy duty gas shocks fitted. Is that a reasonable price?

jason18, Jan 15, 5:40am
Dobi springs and Monroe gt gas shocks. She sits only slightly lower with the cherry picker on board. Bloody stoked

jmma, Jan 15, 5:49am
That's great news, you should let that mad_signtist fellow know, he was having the same problem. Lol (o:

jason18, Jan 25, 6:20pm
Haha I sign in on my phone and ita jason18 and computer is mad signtists lol