2000 Rav4 - Low beams dont work

holdenboy11, Apr 14, 8:25am
Have a problem where low beams head lights don't work, the high beams work but only when the stalk is pulled back, doesn't work when being pushed back (normally permanently on). Fuses have been checked and doesn't seem to be any relevant ones blown but its hard to tell with the stupid labelling. Bulbs have been changed and no difference, the same bulbs are used for low and high with different voltages. Any ideas?

grangies, Apr 14, 8:42am
If you take it to a sparky they'll sort it LOL.

It might be a problem with the light switch on your steering column.

franc123, Apr 14, 8:52am
Or a buggered relay if it uses one, look for a low beam relay in the underbonnet fuse box and try swapping it with another one. Does one bulb light up when the other one gets unplugged?

bwg11, Apr 14, 9:00am
I'd be looking at a faulty light switch. If I understand you correctly, high beam only works when you pull back on the stalk to "flash", and not when the headlights are turned on?

holdenboy11, Apr 14, 9:03am
I wanted to see what I could do before taking it to somebody. I'll need to have another look at relays, I don't know these cars at all. Yeah flash works for high beam but not permanent.

bwg11, Apr 14, 9:13am
If "flash" works from the stalk nothing is wrong with the high beam relay. look at the light switch and low beam circuit.

kazbanz, Mar 13, 5:01pm
THIS is the first place to look. The RAV has two fuse boxes one under the bonnet and one inside the car.Pull each fuse out one at a time and check them.
Im not saying the fault IS the fuse but its the first place to look.