Ute for work

sigvat1, Jul 29, 6:08am
will have 4 grand soon and need to buy a ute. i no it will not get me much but, i want petrol and canopy what would i be looking at ?. to be used just for getting to work and takeing my dogs out.

2sheddies, Jul 29, 6:22am
Probably mostly be looking at early to mid 90's L200's, Ford Courier/Mazda equivalents around the 200k mark or more in that price range, but with heaps of life left. Good Hiluxes seem to be a bit dearer as usual. You should be able to find something that'll do the job without much drama.

2sheddies, Jul 29, 6:34am
Ha, cheers for that. kept meaning to find what that ended up selling for.

mals69, Jul 29, 7:14am
L200's not that flash on gas - 90's Nissan be the smart money !

tamarillo, Jul 30, 2:58am
As a museum piece that's cheap, as a car to use that's crazy.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 5:23am
Sale prices of old dunger utes have been crazy for years. It's quite bemusing to see people paying 4 and 5k for things that look as if they'd be a useful chook house rather than a reliable, presentable vehicle. There's a few sensibly priced ones still if you look hard, but given the pos's you generally get for the money, if a ute isn't absolutely essential, perhaps better to buy a clean late model station wagon for the same dosh and hook the trailer up for large items.

whqqsh, Jul 30, 6:12am
agree totally, I was lucky to find a cheap yet good solid old ute for a mate, but most prices are silly. I'm a fan of s/wagons as they also offer a better level of security for tools & goods with the comfort & drivability of a car

2sheddies, Jul 30, 7:31am
Yep for sure. as you say better comfort, including the extra seats if need be. 3 bods squashed in a single cab ute is bloody uncomfy!

morrisjvan, Jul 30, 7:42am
you could lurch around the road in one of these, or you could do it in style in a falcon or commodore ute.

whqqsh, Jul 30, 7:45am
not on that budget

40wav, Jul 30, 7:56am
Depends on the other two bods!

2sheddies, Jul 30, 8:53am
As whqqsh says, probably out of budget for a decent one. Most Falcadores are all wellside too which is a bit of a hindrance as load space goes. If it had a flatdeck might be alright, by you don't see many around. Heavier on juice compared to the little jappas too.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 8:53am
There is that!

electromic, Dec 9, 12:36am
I paid $1600 for a nissan ute, 2.4 petrol, king cab, 2 years ago. Great ute, doesn't look flash but gets the job done. Gave it a good service, replaced the voltage regulator, and a couple of lamps.