The fuel pipeline

Page 1 / 4
serf407, Sep 20, 9:57am
Probably need to develop a gps smart phone map app for digger drivers - that gives a warming 'Don't dig here dumbo'

http://www.refiningnz.com/media/91698/a08063-011-4002d.pdf Takes a long time to do the pipe connection prep https://youtu.be/gB3dXDVTj8Y (pipe preparation)
https://www.pipelinelaw.com/2014/10/10/pipeline-abandonment-safety-supply-concerns-heart-recent-developments/ Legal aspects of old pipelines
Gas pipelines have a 50 year lifetime depending on material pipeline made from etc.
http://www.lancasterpipeline.org/pipeline-lifetime/

intrade, Sep 20, 10:06am
tankers are extreemly cross conterminated . just imagin that ethanol crap like the G sells would make it in to a A380 and conterminate its tanks that would be a nightmare and lawsuits in the billions.
its why you add chemtech flashlube winns edt or morreys to your diesel because you dont know what shite you are pumping in to your vehicle. and you dont have the means to
Test-proof and sue any of these petrol thugs like airlines who can proof where the fuel came from and who to sue and have the funds to do so.

morrisman1, Sep 20, 10:11am
Ill let the engineers know to throw a couple bottles of chemtech in the wing tanks then. The tanks hold 6200L so how many bottles would you recommend?

rsr72, Sep 20, 10:14am
Might know more than she let's on if the family-Chinese Oravida swamp kauri business is involved somewhere.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/646847126.jpg

-NZ Geographic.

intrade, Sep 20, 10:16am
Resalistically fuel prices should drop in northland dramatically due to a glut of all the fuel that can only be sold up there.
But dont worry it wont happen they will make it more expensive instead for extra profits for there sharholder thugs .

intrade, Sep 20, 10:19am
its for diesel cars the additive. they cant shaft big airline coorporation . well they can but they know whats comming if they do so who to shaft the ones who cant afford a lawyer you and me namely.

purplegoat, Sep 20, 10:34am
You really are full of hot air and bull dust .
ALL aviation fuels in NZ are transported in tankers that are dedicated to aviation products only . They do NOT and CANNOT cart any ground fuels in aviation tankers and vice versa
Stop mouthing off about something you not jack shite about

richardmayes, Sep 20, 10:49am
I was working at an office in Sockburn when Wigram air force base was still operational. One of the 757s was doing takeoffs, landings and low passes all morning. One of the low passes must have been full throttle and high speed because that really did shake the whole building!

wasgonna, Sep 20, 11:03am
Good to see the local BP increasing prices for 91 and diesel by 3c per litre even though there is NO shortage throughout the country as stated by the oil companies.

Must be the lower dollar . nope been rising all week against the USD.

Must be the election. Yep that'll be it.

crankypants69, Sep 20, 12:00pm
Maybe in your country, here av tankers are dedicated units

skiff1, Sep 20, 12:37pm
dont sweat it. Your tinfoil hat will protect you from the bombs.

philltauranga, Sep 20, 2:04pm

elect70, Sep 20, 3:22pm
Well in USA they send a remote camera up the pipe to check for any cracks . Particulary the Alska pipeline which is subject to extreme cold & heat as it runs above ground . assume they do the same here perhaps every 5 years

wayned, Sep 20, 5:26pm
My question is, How come they didn't fill the Airports tanks before turning the pipe off. It hasn't been reported that there was a gushing leak, yet the tanks that can hold 13 days of reserve fuel, were only holding about 6

intrade, Sep 20, 7:11pm
just hearing the thug on tv he said they looked at the problem with the pipeline in 2011 and they did not want to pass on the cost to consumers .
You know what that means now .
if you turn on your brain that means the fuel price will be hiked now since now they have to pass on the cost to consumer as the thug calls it.
hoskin said the right thing we dont look like a half-w. t country we are one to the rest of the world.

purplegoat, Sep 20, 7:15pm
Why don't you emigrate to Outer Mongolia Intrade . I mean why stay here in this country when all you do is rant and rave incoherent ramblings about thugs and crooks . if you lived in Outer Mongolia at least you wouldn't need ya tinfoil hat

purplegoat, Sep 20, 7:17pm
Clearly you don't know anything about risk management
A leak was detected by a pressure drop in the line which indicates it was a reasonable size . It was underground and thus not visible
It would be grossly irresponsible bordering on negligence to continue operating a pipeline containing highly flammable fuels knowing it had a substantial leak

nice_lady, Sep 20, 7:18pm
Yeah - nah. Hubby is an aircraft refueller - has been for quite a few years. He'll tell you you're about as wrong as you could be. Tankers delivering JetA1 are VERY VERY VERY carefully controlled and theres NO "cross conterminated" in them - ever !

mm12345, Sep 20, 7:23pm
They do have cathodic protection (impressed current) but I'm not sure if that's adequate in acid swampy soils if the coating is damaged - or if it was damaged and in that area of damage whatever did it also created an air void around the pipe, then the CP system can't work. Boggy possibly brackish water and no protection, it'd probably rust even faster than a 1975 Fiat.
At pipe diameter and normal flow rates (400,000l/h) then it takes about 24 hours for a product separation pig to go the 170km distance. Not sure if a pig with instruments looking for defects would be able to go through at that flow rate - I kind of doubt it, so presuming they do have the equipment (likely) then I guess they lose several/many days pumping capacity if they do a full inspection. Perhaps that's partly behind the issue - not inspecting often enough because they lose pumping capacity.

intrade, Sep 20, 7:23pm
#79 correct i talk about that the crap is sold to us at the pumps who is cross conterminated.

purple666, Sep 20, 7:29pm
Cripes could you you imagine the greenies getting hold of that, they wouldn't know whether to shite or go blind. In fact I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the bandwagon already.

purplegoat, Sep 20, 7:38pm
And yet more crap . we have advanced petrol and Diesel engines refuelling every day across the country and don't see them coughing and spluttering up the road do we
But hey you just keep wearing ya tinfoil hat

cabrio1, Sep 20, 7:46pm
Bad day at work tho.
Watched a few a/c hose out fuel with the odd mishap.
Hard to hold back 10,000 lb of pressure with your thumb.
Just stand back, grab the fuel containment kit if you have one, and laugh at the guy who pulled the pipe.
Wonder who cracked that big pipe?

intrade, Sep 20, 7:46pm
some of you are like that bill from national there is a hole in the budget when everyone actuarly said there was non.
So i wonder when national claim there never was no hole in the pipeline.
quite a bit like some morons on here .

saxman99, Sep 20, 7:47pm
It had AvGas pouring out of it, many thousands of litres lost.