Nissan Xtrail

Page 1 / 2
stella40, Aug 31, 12:49pm
We are looking to purchase a late model 4wd xtrail. Can someone please tell me are they a true 4wd?

intrade, Aug 31, 12:55pm
what do you mean by true . my 4 motion passat is a true 4wd but it cant be turned off to only have 2wd and it also has no low range.

stella40, Aug 31, 1:16pm
Being female I don't have a big understanding of all this stuff but I'm wanting to know on the dial of an xtrail it says 2wd, auto, lock and in the middle of it, it says all mode 4 x 4 - 1 so is it a 4wd like say a hi-lux has or is it an all wheel drive. Sorry for the dumb questions but this is the only way I can get an understanding of this stuff.

mals69, Aug 31, 1:47pm
From what you said has option to be in either
2WD or 4WD (usually the set up too) good choice
with a mighty Nissan. (Yes can be 4WD like a hiluk.)

stella40, Aug 31, 2:15pm
Thanks for that. Got reading a few sights about it and have my head around now.

db.price, Aug 31, 2:30pm
Question is do you need a "true" 4wd? I.e are you going off roading where the 4wd lock will be worthwhile or is it to use just if the road is wet, icy, snowy etc?

If the latter then perhaps am AWD may be better such as in trades crappy 4 motion Passat but maybe better something like a Subaru Outback, Honda CRV or a Mazda CX5. The latter 2 operate mainly 2wd until the rear wheels are needed for grip

stella40, Aug 31, 2:50pm
To answer your question, both but not off roading very often. Just need a vehicle that will drive out of a tricky situation off road if need be.

db.price, Aug 31, 3:00pm
Having driven both the Xtrail and the Outback I would be heading for the Outback every time. Great safety system in the late model ones called eyesight, more ground clearance then the Xtrail, a very good CVT as opposed to the Xtrail which tends to be a bid laggy and whiney, in built roof rails, outstanding AWD system that keeps you safe in everyday conditions and can be used to get out of those tricky situations. Best of all while it is a crossover SUV like the Xtrail it handles like a car.

BTW I own a Cx5 but the Outback was one of the top choices for us when looking.

mals69, Aug 31, 3:08pm
Stick with the Nissan! Subarus can be grenades on
wheels - over-complicated engineering!

stella40, Aug 31, 3:20pm
Looking at Nissan as we currently own a Nissan Murano and a Merc but now want to go down to one vehicle and one that we can throw stuff in the back and do a little off roading. Can't do either in the Merc and the Murano is getting a little old now, so having had an excellent run with the Murano we just thought we would stick with Nissan. After reading about it I think it will do the job just fine for us. Now to find one down my neck of the woods.
By the way if anyone is looking for Merc, I have a beauty.

db.price, Aug 31, 3:21pm
You have likely been very lucky with your Nissan!

db.price, Aug 31, 3:22pm
Some of the older ones sure but .modern Subaru’s are made well and go better.

mals69, Aug 31, 3:22pm
Smart thinking!

mals69, Aug 31, 3:24pm
No - Nissan strength is reliability!

mals69, Aug 31, 3:25pm
db.price wrote:
Some of the older ones sure but .modern Subaru’s are made well and go better.[/quote

No doubt to early to say if latest any good.

db.price, Aug 31, 3:27pm
It really isn’t. What king of car do you drivebtw?

mals69, Aug 31, 3:31pm
It is - majority of my family drive Nissans and
we have all had great runs out of them. I drive a Nissan.

db.price, Aug 31, 3:46pm
What a shock. I have had 2 Nissan’s. one was awesome. One was crap, the worst car I ever drove and owned. The Subaru I owned was amazing, handled outstanding and was cheap to service and drive. Non turbo of course. Other cars have been 2 Mitsubishi’s, a Volvo and a Kia. Current car is a Mazda.

When I drove the Xtrail found it it be slow and rolly. The Subaru was totally different feel, but the Mazda came out on top because it was quiet, handles well, cheap to run, free service plan and looks good.

stella40, Aug 31, 3:54pm
Well boys if you must know at heart I am a Honda girl through and through and my husband is a Toyota boy and we don't own either anymore. Would love to buy a Toyota but the kind we want is just not in our budget. Regarding Nissans, have had a couple of them now and have had an excellent run from them BUT just got our news on the Murano an hour ago after putting it in for a warrant and it has a couple of issues and is now hitting the pocket in a rather large way. Not happy but I have to say for a 2005 car it has served us well as our hack. The only downside of it for me is that she is a very thirsty girl.

mals69, Aug 31, 3:55pm
So your one bad nissan makes all nissans not reliable ?

If Mazda could match their build quality with their looks they would be
onto a winner, considered buying 2014 Mazda 6, took it for a test drive
what a cheaply put together piece of shite!

I note in another thread you are not that talented with a spanner so do
you really know what you are looking at ?

stella40, Aug 31, 3:56pm
Have to agree with you on the Mazda, would love a CX5 but husband wants a bigger vehicle.

bwg11, Aug 31, 4:54pm
OP, you ask if it is a "true" 4WD. The X-trail 4WD system is totally different to a conventional "part time" system in that it does not have a "low ratio" reduction box (like for example a Hilux or Ranger) but has selectable modes, where it may set in either 2WD mode, Auto mode or Lock mode.

Normally it is a front wheel drive vehicle, in AUTO mode rear axle engages when front wheels start to slip, power is variably distributed from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, sort of AWD as required.

In 2WD mode, the clutch is unlocked permanently. However, even when in 2WD mode, rear wheels can sometimes be engaged by electronic control unit, for example under heavy acceleration.

In LOCK mode the tranfer clutch is permanently locked - power distribution 50:50. If vehicle speed increases, the vehicle automatically goes to AUTO mode, then, when speed decreases, it switches back to LOCK. When transfer clutch oil is overheated, the vehicle goes into 2WD mode.

Look for a 2.5 litre one, the 2 litres lack power when fully laden or towing.

The X-trail is not a bad vehicle, but if I was buying in this "Soft SUV" class, I would be looking at a RAV4, which admittedly will be dearer for the same year and mileage.

gph1961, Aug 31, 5:02pm
a dozen ladas
just use the 1 that's going on any given day

stella40, Aug 31, 5:20pm
Thank you for that, you have explained that really clearly and we both now have a good understanding. A Rav 4 is on our list if we can't find the right xtrail and yes we would only buy the 2.5 litre.

db.price, Aug 31, 5:36pm
Mazda build quality is ranked right up there these days, higher than most jap cars and equal to many euro models. Ours done 20000km now and still tight, no squeeks or creaks.