Has the Nissan QR25DE got better with age?

ambo11, Aug 5, 7:16pm
I know the earlier ones suffered from catalytic converters breaking up and ruining the engine, and butterfly screws being ingested and ruining the engine, but have the later ones, say 2008 on got better? Apart from this problem are they a reliable choice?
Seems every car has its "expensive" problems when I start googling. but sounds like from around 2006 onward the problems with this engine were addressed?
Can't seem to find anything definitive though online.

jason_247, Aug 5, 9:45pm
Later ones are pretty good if maintained.

Bad oil will still destroy the chains in no time

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 9:49pm
In what application?
Every car does have it's weak points but the really hard part is working out which ones can be negated and how bad those week points are. NZ has a really strange psychology around vehicles due to our import mania of the last few decades.
Truly horrible cars like the Tiida are touted as great while most popular in class highly respected vehicles overseas vehicles like the Panda are laughed at.
Good luck sorting the wheat from the chaff.
For what it's worth, the QR25DE engine itself isn't a great design even when it's running well. It's quite thirsty and underpowered for it's size. If you are thinking about the likes of the Presage, the transmissions on them don't help the situation and they are actually pretty awful to drive in my opinion. If you want a good solid people mover, buy a Mercedes Viano, it's based on the commercial version and they are much much better built. Even if you don't lke them as ambulances, in the Civilian world they last very very well. Hence long haul courier companys keeping them in service for anything up to 1.5 million km. Presages wouldn't last anywhere near as long.
Remember too, Presages are really just cheap French cars, not even good French, so don't fool yourself in to thinking you are buying something Japanese. They might be assembled in Japan but the company is French through and through.

BTW. from memory the last Presage I saw that had ingested it's Cat was an 06.

ambo11, Nov 3, 1:16am
In this listing 1688381598

Not interested in euro cars at all. I deal with them daily and its damn near a full time job getting their stupid little problems fixed constantly.
Some of the repair bills are "interesting" to say the least.