Nissan Murano 2.5 owners

ambo11, Aug 11, 3:16pm
Any problems with your Murano? CVT in particular?
I know the 2.5 engines have a history but I'm not concerned at that. The 3.5 V6 would suck way too much gas. Would love to hear what you think of them. 2005-2010 models
Cheers

noodleman4, Aug 11, 6:19pm
I drove one last month and they are woefully gutless, i agree about the 3.5s.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 11, 7:25pm
It's not the history you worry about, it's the lack of future.
I just don't get why you seem drawn to the handful of true modern lemons on the market?

ambo11, Aug 11, 7:52pm
Jazz, I don't see why you are drawn to european shit?
What Lemons (in your mind) am I drawn to?
I like the look of the Murano, and am taking my time looking round for a car.
I like a few so am asking owners for their experiences of them. Honda Crossroad, CRV, Mitsubishi Outlander etc.
I am aware of the Nissan 2.5 problems, but it does not mean every one of them will die a catastrophic death at low kms.
Really I'd rather you didn't comment on my threads, you hate jap cars, and know I can't stand euros, so why even bother?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 11, 8:31pm
All cool, will leave you to it. My advice for what it's worth is go CRV or Outlander. They are good mainstream machines with few real issues.

I was just cringing in that you went for a known problem transmission last time and you were heading for what would be the worst modern Japanese engine this time.

Lastly, if you do go for the Murano, there is a header set on ebay you can buy which should bypass teh main issue. If I had to have one I would make absolutely sure it wasn't already burning oil or low on compression before purchase ($12 bore scope would be another eays way) then fit one of those. The recycle fee on your pre cat might even come close to paying for it. The issue with the 2.5 is such that it actually is pretty inevitable that it will fail just a matter of when. It's not a luck of the draw kind of thing. So doing the above would be very advisable.

Anyhow, good luck with it all. I will respect your wishes and leave you be.

ambo11, Aug 11, 8:38pm
Thanks for that understanding Jazz, I had had the headers in the back of my mind. My reasoning is there are so many of these 2.5 Nissans, 2.4 Toyotas etc around, that they can't "all" be bad. The actual model Murano I like is a 2008-2010 which had the cat etc changed by Nissan prior to that.
The CVT in the Murano is known to be pretty good, yet the CVT in the Outlander from what I have just read is the same unit I had in my Nissan which shat itself, but Mitsubishi rename it so its not a "Jatco" model number. But, then again, there are thousands of Outlanders running around so maybe I just got a dud.
I appreciate you have wide euro knowledge Jazz, great for those that want it, just not for me. Cheers

jgoater, Aug 11, 8:41pm
Good.
This is a thread about Nissan murano's. Please don't do what you always do and switch it to Euro's.

bazfan, Aug 11, 9:00pm
They are thirsty and I found the rear cargo area to be the smallest out of the CRV, Outlander or Rav 4.

meow_mix, Aug 11, 9:35pm
If looking at a 2005-2010 Murano go as new as you can because the model changed to a newer shape in 2009. If the 2.5L has issues then why not buy the 3.5L, assuming it is a different engine family. The 2.5L will be working hard to power the nearly 2 tonne Murano and will use quite a lot of gas. The 3.5L is better suited and will cruise along effortlessly at low revs.

stevo2, Aug 12, 7:25am
My Brother in Law bought one about 3 years ago done around 200,000km. Its now closer to 300,000km and hasn't had any major issues.

rbd, Oct 28, 11:05pm
Before going down the Murano path check the boot is big enough, it is about 3/4 the size of my prior 2005 BMW 5 Series wagon. Very limiting so we sold it.

Averaged around 12.5 l/100kms for the 3.5. Same as my current 3.5 Pathfinder which is bigger and heavier.