Parking a motorhome on the street for six months

Page 2 / 2
evergreene, Oct 3, 6:39pm
my daughter has twice had notes left on her car telling her not to park in front of the residents houses. Once was when she was away for a week and had got a lift with the neighbour of the complainer. The other was a quiet street she parked on and walked to work.
They didn't like looking at her car apparently. ( a small Toyota )

willy911, Oct 3, 7:20pm
Join nzmca,,$90 per year,the members will find you a spot

socram, Oct 3, 8:07pm
Thinking outside the square - and not knowing where you intend parking it, stick it on a secure 'sell your own' car yard for a high price. It won't sell.

I'm assuming there is a no sell, no fee arrangement? Could be wrong of course.

amyr2, Oct 3, 10:08pm
Thanks for the helpful replies. I checked with the council and it's perfectly legal to park it up. I will also look at storage, we are thinking of using it ourselves from time to time so it wont be sat growing mould but as we have no driveway and can't see the street from the front window I think it would be safer in storage.

Am a bit shocked by the posters who said they would slash tires or key it - why wouldn't you just ask your neighbour to move it? Cowards.

supernova2, Oct 3, 10:43pm
Unfortunately is just the way it is these days.
With the advent of mobile phones and text messages etc people have lost the ability to enter into a normal conversation and couple thats with a misguided sense of entitlement you end up with modern society. Vandalism is rife in some parts of NZ.
Bloody hell they are even stopping passenger trains to grafitti them now
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11923431

amyr2, Oct 4, 2:55am
That's sad to hear, supernova. I haven't lived in NZ for a long time and perhaps have a rose-tinted view of the people there. I agree there is a problem when people can't demonstrate their disapproval in a constructive way.

totalimp, Oct 4, 8:05am
We are about to move into a semi rural property with loads of spare parking, I wonder if we can rent out a parking space? What are the implications in terms of insurance?
Op if you’re keen sing out! Haha.

tfc3, Oct 4, 9:10pm
From the latest NZMCA magazine, the only NZMCA site to store a vehicle is Weedons Park.

captaink, Oct 4, 9:23pm
You might like to investigate Share a Camper and/or Mi Way to get some income which would cover the cost of storage, more than likely, plus possibly some extra funds for your trips away etc. The camper gets used, (better than sitting idle) and you are fully insured through both their contracts. It's a win win and a perfect scenario in my mind.

lusty9, Oct 4, 9:50pm
I say park it in the street, then you'll see all the pieces of paper that will magically appear stuffed under the window wiper blades with your council emblem on them lol

nz_stacie, Oct 4, 11:11pm
Government states in bylaws you can't park full time on same place for to long , police will get it towed you will never see it again

richardmayes, Oct 5, 12:18am
I don't mind my neighbour parking his log truck outside his house 5 doors down from us, because he only does it a couple of times a week and I understand it's his livelihood.

Leaving a huge white plastic ugly motor home half blocking your street for SIX MONTHS at a time just because it's slightly easier for you than some other options, is obscene.

Even if there isn't a bylaw against it, you are basically giving all your neighbours a great big white shiny finger. You don't care that they have to look at it, every day. You don't care that their kids on their bikes have to go out around it. You don't care that the guy next door will have a hard time getting out of his driveway every day because your motor home is always there obstructing his visibility down the street. You're entitled to do it so you're going to do it!

Nobody likes that guy. Don't be that guy.

kecal, Oct 5, 6:08am
basically its just not cricket,

scuba, Oct 5, 8:11am
i see your point but
you will never really know unless someone parks one in your street.
Also depends on width of street down here in the south some of the streets are pretty narrow and would be a problem navigating around anything bigger than a small commuter vehicle- all good if its only now and then but 6 months would probably bring on a bit of road rage in the locals.

kdcentralni, Oct 5, 10:41am
I'd worry about someone hitting it they eventually will.

rsr72, Oct 5, 12:56pm
It might be OK in the over-crowded UK, but not in our country.

elect70, Oct 5, 1:13pm
Ha when i was living in a flat with no of street parking i left my landrover parked up for 12 months on the street due to loss of license . so took the oportunity to do it up &recon the motor . Got lots of notices under the wipers from council & ignored them all . never got towed . But as above people can be asholes these days & bet theyd at least "coin it ' or &get it towedaway by council as detrimental to their view . Such is neighbourly love these days.

ross1970, Oct 5, 9:38pm
You'd have to be an ignorant wanker to expect having a campervan parked up in a street fr 6 months wouldn't piss people off. Stick it up your driveway !

ross1970, Oct 5, 9:40pm
Op whats your address I'll come park a truck outside your house for 6 months, you'll be cool with that.

arnold500, Oct 11, 8:35pm
Had a camper myself, driveway a bit narrow and low branches on trees, so I thought I’d leave it on the street, even put Christmas lights and decorations in it. It didn’t stop some neighbour’s complaining. I had the same issue with a trailer, was struggling for room as I’d bought so many car recently, four cars in my garage and driveway and three in my garage across town, mostly excellent condition collectables registered and warranted, which I don’t want on the street, I found room for it in the courtyard, bit of a hassle though. I’ve never been bothered by other people’s cars on the street.

nzjay, Dec 26, 12:48pm
Well worth the $90 for the advice, help, use of campsites, cheap Elect WOF, etc, etc. Good reading in their magazine.