Parking a motorhome on the street for six months

Page 1 / 2
amyr2, Oct 3, 1:23am
I'm moving back to NZ soon, and my in laws (from the UK) have mentioned they are planing to buy a motorhome and spend six months of each year touring NZ, and leaving it parked outside our place the rest of the time. We are willing to have it in our name if it helps, with them picking up the cost of any repairs etc.

So my question is: can you keep a motorhome on the street for six months of the year? It's a quiet suburban street with no parking restrictions (as far as I know). I have googled but the only info I've found is about freedom camping etc. In laws are seasoned motor home owners, and have toured NZ before in rentals.

Also, can anyone think of any other problems/hurdles we might run into with this idea?

Thanks all.

nice_lady, Oct 3, 5:00am
You can park any vehicle on the street for any length of time, (so long as that street has no parking restrictions of course), and so long as it's registered.

Problems might be neighbours objecting and or theives.

simms31, Oct 3, 5:02am
x1
Annoying the hell out of your neighbours perhaps?

If someone can afford to buy a motor home, travel half way around the world and back every year and tour around for 6 months a year, why can't they afford to find somewhere to store it properly for 6 months?

You want it on the street outside for 6 months but undoubtedly don't want it on your own property for 6 months. How about other people come and store their motor homes in your street? Keep it classy

amyr2, Oct 3, 7:10am
*simms31*. Calm yourself - no need to be rude, that's why I posted here, to gauge opinions.

I didn't say they "can't afford to find somewhere to store it properly". I am asking about the legality of keeping it on the street. If I had problems with neighbours I would be happy to look into storage elsewhere.

Thank you *nice_lady*. I had thought about thieves, it's an ok part of town but long term parking might make it a target.

ryanm2, Oct 3, 7:26am
x1
Im pretty sure every council has different by-laws regarding parked cars. But, it would piss me off having a camper van parked down my street 6 months of the year.

amyr2, Oct 3, 7:33am
Thanks ryan. I will contact the council, and also look into long term storage options too.

skull, Oct 3, 7:36am
Why not investigate the cost of having it in the secure parking at one of those storage places, it would be safer there and no risk of annoying the hell out of your neighbours.

johotech, Oct 3, 7:53am
Just make sure the battery charging system will charge the house batteries as well as the vehicle start battery. Probably solar will be the only option.

Most motorhomes only have a system(s) to charge the house battery, not the start battery.

tfc3, Oct 3, 8:00am
I parked a caravan on the street for two years when not useing it. It had to be registered and warranted. The local sheriff did complain to the police, who advised me of the complaint but said as the van was warranted and registered there was no problem.

amyr2, Oct 3, 8:03am
Thank you tfc3, very good to know. I am leaning towards storage though, since it's not my own vehicle and I would rather not be responsible for any thefts/damage.

tgray, Oct 3, 8:43am
Park it on your front lawn and rent it out for $200 a week.

supernova2, Oct 3, 8:43am
I think it might depend on the street. We lived in a street once where the neighbours complained about a car I had parked on my front lawn for a couple of weeks, so I can but imagine what would have been said if I parked a camper out on the street for 6 months.

I think I'd be worried about damage. theft etc. Campers can be a bit of an obstacle to navigate around - they are not exactly tiny. Might need to check on insurance cover too. Most policies require you to minimise your risk and parking something in one place for 6 months might give the impression it's been abandoned.

Leaving any vehicle parked up for 6 months at a stint is not exactly good for it either. It will also start to look decidedly scruffy after not moving for 6 months, moss and mould, cobwebs and general grime.

TBH if it were me I'd give serious thought to just long term hire of a camper whilst they are here or even perhaps buying and selling rather than leave what could be a very expensive item parked on the side of the road for 6 months or so.

supernova2, Oct 3, 8:45am
Thats not as silly as it sounds.
Put it in a camping ground and do exactly that.
Or even just park it up in a camping ground.

db.price, Oct 3, 1:21pm
The only other issue is if your subdivision has any restrictions or covenants against that type of vehicle being parked on the street or in front of your house.

If not it will just be something the neighbours may dislike but wont be able to do much about.

ruby2014, Oct 3, 2:39pm
There is a caravan parked in the street near us and it has been there for more than 6 months. There is another caravan in our street, but they have parked in on the berm, and does not intrude on the footpath.
Just make sure it does not block your neighbours from being able to see around it when they come out of their drive way, or that it does not block their view.

yz490, Oct 3, 2:41pm
Lease it out to a rental company for the 6 months but then again all sorts of complication could arise from that--one of them being damage.

snoopy221, Oct 3, 2:50pm
Think one REALLY has to know exactly what they are looking at.
I.E. campervan running on a warrant and driveable on a class one car license enabling you to take it for required warrants and keep it registered.
Or class 2 or higher license heavy motor vehicle needing a C O F.
And if a big one would seriously recommend a nightlight be fitted as with trucks that stays on at night.
Also in reality a heavy big one is better parked on gravel or dirt-as after 6 months in one spot on tarseal ya will be doin a few kilometres SLOW with flat spotted tires from sitting-LOL

elect70, Oct 3, 3:21pm
Truckies park up on residential streets & neighbours have to put up with the noise for 10 minutes every morning pre sunrise . so dont see any problem with the MH but it must have a WOF (or COF) otherwise counci
lnazis send nasty letters threatning to tow it away . Give a it run every month .

sw20, Oct 3, 4:49pm
Except slash the tyre, key it and somehow tip brake cleaner over it.

loose.unit8, Oct 3, 4:55pm
Stupid. How does something parked on a public street piss you off?

purplegoat, Oct 3, 5:04pm
Fark theres some selfish NIMBYS on this board
how the hell does it impact anybody else if a campervan is parked legally on the street for a lengthy period , provided its parked safely and not a derelict eyesore whats the problem . farken glad I don't have neighbours like that

msigg, Oct 3, 5:09pm
Well if it's next to your driveway the neighbor may not be able to see around it when they exit their drive. All depends how wide the street is and how close the houses are to the road and of coarse your neighbors thoughts. someone may smash the window if you know what I mean. All things to consider.

rsr72, Oct 3, 5:58pm
What an absolute pest of a thing to have permanently parked in your street. and near your house.
It could be very 'risky' doing so if residents wish to demonstrate their disapproval which could be very likely.
-book a storage place for it, they're not difficult to find.

loose.unit8, Oct 3, 6:00pm
Why should people have to spend money on a storage place when there is perfectly good public street parking?

It's ridiculous to think adults would resort to becoming petty criminals and damaging someone else's property over them legally parking their vehicle on their own street.

andrew1954, Oct 3, 6:24pm
Also dependent on it size, especially the width, i.e. how far it stick out into the road, it may have to have specific lighting at night.