Innocent drivers can get replacement car paid for

bazfan, Aug 6, 5:28pm

bazfan, Aug 6, 9:59pm
What does the forum say?

tony9, Aug 7, 8:41am
Well of course. It has always been that way, someone causes fiscal loss to you through unlawful act or negligence, they pay all losses.

supernova2, Aug 7, 9:54am
Watch the insurance premiums rise. Yes I know it was usually an add-on for your policy but now it's going to mean that it will have to become a compulsory part I would expect. No insurance coy would take the risk that if you happen to hit some uninsured car not only will your insurance have to fix their car they will also have to cover the rental for them.
Next problem is bound to be - what's an appropriate rental car?

comsolve, Aug 7, 11:02am
I had a chat yesterday with someone who works at an insurance company and has knowledge of this matter. I would say "watch this space".

comsolve, Aug 7, 11:06am
Additionally, be aware Right2Drive has - as part of their agreement - a bunch of requirements including the renter agreeing to sue the other party, on their behalf. Ain't no free lunch in this world. Know what you are signing up for.

elect70, Aug 7, 3:49pm
I hit a taxi once & he tried to get me to pay for temporary car , told him to sex &travel & insurance wouldnt do it either .

supernova2, Aug 7, 5:24pm
BUT now there is a High Court ruling that say you probably would be paying for a replacement Taxi. That's not going to be a 15 yr old Honda City rental so it ain't going to be cheap.

supernova2, Nov 1, 2:42pm
I see Right2Drive is the NZ branch of an Oz outfit. Wonder if they are using Oz business process in NZ? Possibly slightly different rules but now they have a NZ High Court Judgment I don't see them not pushing ahead a lot harder.
It's a common legal principle that the innocent party should not be out of pocket due to the actions of the guilty party so it seems fairly straightforward that the guilty should pay for a rental.