Mazda 6 wagon or Legacy/Outback- help pls

manolo, Sep 10, 11:24am
Hi there,

Old car written off last week and need to find a replacement now. Have $14k to spend and I'm keen to get something Japanese and fairly new but at that budget the trade off is I'm looking at high kms (140K+). So criteria is reliability, fun to drive, space and a bit of economy too. Have two dogs so wagon/suv is the go too. Here are my choices

Mazda 6 2.5 GSX wagons 2008-11

Quite a few around at this pricepoint and a lot are ex lease so have got service history. I have seen a number of them that have clocked up 300+ kms so reliability seems to be good. The well priced ones seem to be sold on the same day as advertised so looks like a lot of demand

Subaru Outback/Legacy 09-13

I like the outback over the legacy personally but legacy is cheaper. Like the awd system, but the 2.5 engine feels slower than the mazda 2.5 engine. I'm not sure about the long term reliability of the CVT system either. The Outback also seems less popular with models being on yards or listed on trademe for longer periods- one on here that has been listed since November last year! Also are Subarus more expensive to service vs mazdas? What I do like about the Outback is the awd will be great for road trips and the higher height of the outback feels more comfortable on my hips plus a better view of the road. Also outback fuel economy is meant to be better than the 2.5 mazda according to the salesman on the yard

Which model should I look to buy? Has anyone had experience with these cars?

Thanks heaps

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 11:33am
I prefer the 6 but be aware they're quite overpriced in that sort of age group.

Anyway I wouldn't go for the Outback if fun to drive is a priority - that extra height and sidewall ruins things on the road compared to the normal Legacy wagon.

battleaxe, Sep 10, 12:06pm
we had an outback. get the 3.0 model - more reliable engine than the 2.5 and they go like stink. Heaps of power and really good handling. you should be able to get a good low km one for 14k. Subarus feel really solid and the non-turbo ones generally dont get thrashed. Having said that, the Mazda is a good wagon too, but not AWD. I personally would go for one with low kms if i had the choice.

h.e, Sep 10, 12:15pm
I see fun to drive is one of your criteria . Rule out the mazda 6 then. Most boring car I have ever owned. Had it for 6 months lost a few grand on it and the best move I made

manolo, Sep 10, 12:18pm
Thanks I also had a drive today of a Mazda CX7 GSX 2.5 which is the same engine of the 6 but I think better looking. It has the height of the Outback too plus a nice interior

manolo, Sep 10, 12:20pm
Thanks battleaxe- I'm actually looking at the model up which comes in 2.5 and 3.6. Wouldn't mind a 3l one - seems like a good compromise

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 12:31pm
The CX-7 has the same problem as the Outback - that extra height counts against it on the road

battleaxe, Sep 10, 4:37pm
if you can get a 3.6 then do it. you will enjoy the extra power when needed. the 2.5 is a bit boring. we sold ours for a 7 seat prado which fits our needs well, but i still miss the subaru.

tamarillo, Sep 10, 4:40pm
Cx7 mostly has the turbocharged 2.3 engine, though yes some around with 2.5 non turbo from mazda6. The turbo was known to be very thirsty.

Have you looked at an 08 onwards Honda Accord wagon. NZ new ones had high spec as never sold to lease and hire outfits, A lovely 2.4 which will outperform Mazda and Subaru in zoom and economy, and is, IMO, a much nicer wagon.

db.price, Sep 10, 5:05pm
Would have to agree with this. The Subaru's handle really well but the Honda, especially in that age, are very well put together cars. My sister and BiL have a 2008 Euro Accord (sedan) which they have owned for 7 years now. Have done bugger all work to it and still looks great and goes well.

The CX7 has a nice look especially compared to some of the SUVs around at the same time but is meant to be quite thirsty.

neo_psy, Sep 28, 1:18pm
Had a legacy and nOw have an 08 Mazda 6 wagon 2.5l nz new. Love it.
Great fuel economy but still has enough power to get up hills and overtake easily even when fully loaded.
Easiest car to install car seats in, and until recently I've had one on the passenger side and one in the middle which has left the other seat free and comfortably for a large adult.
We are sitting at 170ish km, and it doesn't miss a beat - was a company car at husbands work that we bought from them so has been regularly serviced etc.
Only negative is no Bluetooth and not an easy fix (no plug in for the stereo available) and I don't like the aftermarket separate ones personally.