Which is best rav4 or Honda crv

purplegoanna, Aug 9, 7:28am
Looking to buy a second hand car, these two suit my needs, which of the two is better in your opinions please :-) & good bad of each

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:05am
CRV, less thirsty, nicer vehicle and surprisingly statistically more reliable. However, to get anything more specific than that you will need to give us some idea of your budget/age group as right now we don't know if you are talking about nearly new or 20 years old!

martin11, Aug 9, 8:20am
Rav4 if you are going to tow a boat or heavy loads

kazbanz, Aug 9, 9:06am
Both vehicles have been built from mid 1990's up to today.
If you can give an indication of what age range you are looking at then you can get a decent reply. In both cases there have had a couple of major updates.
Also your intended purpose--ie normal road use,snow,offroad etc.

rovercitroen, Aug 9, 9:27am
Look at Mitsubishi Outlander too. Great vehicles.

gedo1, Aug 9, 1:11pm
Now, now. the original poster was about RAV4s and CRVs! Just keeping the proper balance here! Hi Jazz!

msigg, Aug 9, 3:50pm
Ravi4 we have owned both only they were different age groups late model rave is slightly more economical and has a much better gearbox crv is nice too although I don't like the shape as much. Rave sport or limited is the one to get. Each to their own. Test drive each over same roads and see what you like. All good

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 6:39pm
Stupid not to suggest potentially better alternatives whatever they may be. I would be very peeved if it was my thread and someone held back from suggesting a better alternative.

purplegoanna, Aug 9, 9:51pm
im in oz so its for driving over to the next town for shopping (sealed hway), nipping around town, putting bale of hay and gardening/cleaning job stuff in the boot and poss towing a small trailer to the tip with rubbish or greenwaste, i like these 2 choices because im tall and have a crook back so its easy for me to get in and out of compared to lower cars, i was looking at xtrails but theyre to long (no kids or dogs) so thought id go shorter and slightly taller, price range max of $2000 but with low kms (ova here low kms is a joke but if your quick you can get them)

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 10:16pm
For that price just pick whichever of the two you can get in the best nick. Cast a wide net.

kevymtnz, Aug 10, 7:17pm
Rav will last longer

richardmayes, Aug 10, 8:45pm
CRV you can get in 2WD for a slight saving in fuel and potential mechanical costs.

(No idea if Rav4s are all 4x4s or if they come as a 2WD also?)

Honda AWD is FWD until the front wheels start slipping, then the back axle starts to kick in. For getting back onto the road or up a slippery driveway, not off-roading!

purplegoanna, Aug 10, 11:15pm
sorry that was supposed to be $5000

casualobserver, Aug 10, 11:18pm
The Honda HRV is a good option as well

noodleman4, Aug 11, 6:23pm
The 1.8s seem to be the 2wds,
All the 2.0s ive seen were D4s :(

mojo49, Oct 29, 6:09am
Some interesting replies. I have to get my wife a car with a relatively high entrance / exit seat height soon and both those are on my list of possibles. Will spend up to $15K. I like the way the CRV transmission works and keeps fuel cost down.