Consumer Guarantee Act - purchased a new car

Page 3 / 4
bumfacingdown, Sep 27, 6:53pm
Do all you contact in writing or it will end up with he said she said they said

supernova2, Sep 27, 7:06pm
Wonder who the dealer is? Hope it's not 2cheapcars.

a.woodrow, Sep 27, 7:11pm
So out of curiosity has the car had any oil change since you bought it? was it serviced before you got it?

mike2590, Sep 27, 7:49pm
Sorry typing mistake, we got car at 74,490

mike2590, Sep 27, 7:50pm
It was a fresh import, documentation said an oil change had to be done within first year or 10,000 k's. we've had it 5 months and done 6,000 k's

a.woodrow, Sep 27, 8:25pm
Hmm so it may not have had an oil change for a very long time prior to that . Outside of the common oil burning issues for that motor, your problem could just be old degraded oil. Any oil consumption testing should be done with new oil. For what it's worth, it's never a bad idea to fully service a new import as you have no way of knowing when it was last serviced

bumfacingdown, Sep 27, 9:50pm
Totally agree, even when the car salesman states it "Has been fully serviced"

mrcat1, Sep 27, 10:06pm
Personally I would have a service done by Toyota with the correct oil and filters etc, and then monitor the oil consumption and have another oil and filter change done in 5000km's once again at Toyota and then see what oil it uses.
All engines use oil and if it hasn't been changed here once its arrived in the country then it could possibly burn a bit as it wont be used to open road running.

nice_lady, Sep 28, 7:45am
2 litres oil consumption in such a short amount of Km's since purchase - yeah nah theres definintely something wrong there.

the-lada-dude, Sep 28, 9:39am
The only and best advise I see here Mike, is to :::: take the friggin lung cancer victim, straight back to the dealer, it seems he has first poke at the pig, You now know that 1). he is liable with CGA 2) this engine is notorious as an oil burner and TOYOTA know it and seems may be also liable

tgray, Sep 28, 9:53am
On a near 10 year old used car? Yeah right!

pauldw, Sep 28, 10:29am
If you don't know when the oil was last changed who knows how much water was in it. One long trip could boil all that out. Checking the oil only every 2 months is a bit slack.

mike2590, Sep 28, 10:34am
We have replaced oil but not filter and been on 2 x 800 km trips.

poppy62, Sep 28, 10:37am
But Toyotas go forever! don't they?

gamefisher, Sep 28, 11:11am
1 quart = 0.95 liter and 1,200 miles = 1,920 kilometer so mike2590 has used 3 liters in 9,500 kilometers that's 1 liter per 3,200 kilometers he might struggle to make a claim based on this.

kazbanz, Sep 28, 2:01pm
ok Mike im gonna "jump the fence" on this one for a moment.
You are going to be asked this stuff anyway.
Putting it together.
You bought the car and discovered fairly quickly the oil was low so topped it up.
You then did an oil change
You then checked the oil level and its really low.
Theres no indication of oil leaks or oil burning--ie smoking.
You have driven a total of 6000km in the vehicle.
SOOO one conclusion is that in fact there is nothing wrong with the car.
it isn't burning oil but has simply needed the quantity of oil put into the engine that it requires.
ie -its been low for ages then at oil change the wrong oil quantity was put in.
Im not saying this is the case but you really do need to be certain

kazbanz, Sep 28, 2:05pm
If the above conclusion is wrong then it isn't time to be wishy washy.
Car is using 3.0l of oil in 6000km -that's not normal and the dealer is avoiding so you need to be clear and unambiguous.
I want the car fixed/not burning oil or I want my money back.
I'd suggest as a sweetener you are prepared for the warranty to be used but you don't expect to pay any excess or extra charges and its up to them to organise.

itaddict, Sep 28, 3:24pm
A classic Toyota AZ engine oil burner, the oil control rings will be gummed up with crap, caused by lack of maintenance and not enough oil return holes in the oil control piston ring grooves. with a limited oil return path the oil remains in the cylinder and is consumed and burnt causing dirty/stuck rings, does it smoke at all?

With engine at normal operating temp add 500ml of kerosene to the oil, don't rev it let it sit at idle for a good 5 minutes then drain oil, replace filter and fill with a good synthetic oil, do this a few times at 5000km intervals problem should go away, failing that strip the engine and inspect. :-)

mals69, Sep 28, 4:31pm
Go dam sight longer than those euro
pieces of crap you dribble over.

the-lada-dude, Sep 28, 8:47pm
not sure if age comes into it . only 70K . ? I think the architecture of the engine is a fault . Toyota has admitted the fact

m16d, Sep 28, 9:04pm
Kero is a fuel oil. it has no lubricating properties at all. adding it to the engine oil is the dummest thing you can do.

itaddict, Sep 28, 9:23pm
LOL its not there to "lubricate" :-) wake up mate

toenail, Sep 28, 10:23pm
Again, I have warned so many people in this forum, stay away from the 2AZ-FE engine, it is known to burn oil. It is not due to the lack of maintenance.

If you're in North America or Japan, Toyota will fix it for you for free as they have admitted liability.

But if you're in New Zealand, Toyota will not fix it for you.

mike2590 - your observation is correct, the car is burning excessive oil, you will not see any tail sign of smokey exhaust. Car still runs fine.

If I were you, I'd dump the car and cut my losses, its not worth the hassle of going back and forth. Not worth the hassle of doing consumption tests. Dealer will insist it is normal and within acceptable limits set by Toyota, but you and I know its BS.

db.price, Sep 29, 6:27pm
I guess we all know what the FE means at the end of the engine type.

mrcat1, Sep 29, 6:43pm
You could either use kero or Diesel, have done it with heavy diesels to give them a clean out.