Nissan x trail

xs1100, Oct 1, 4:57pm
2004,QR25 engine. went to the shops today came out and wouldnt start finally got it to start and once it did no smoke or anything and didnt stutter or anything drove quite normally.got home turned off did same thing 20 mins later. have used some of that crc airflow meter cleaning stuff but still not starting and engine chk light just staying on after a couple seconds of getting it going.not flashing or anything to give a code up just stays on. ideas please

seadubya, Oct 1, 5:22pm

xs1100, Oct 1, 6:30pm
Thank you but tried that and can't get any thing to flash so might have to go to garage and see what they can come up with.someone did say could be cam/crank angle sensor

thejazzpianoma, Oct 1, 7:19pm
If you just want the codes read, supercheap have a code reading service that is quite cheap. Otherwise buy this 1429231595 and load up torque on an android phone or tablet. OBD2 is fine for your purpose as the codes you are looking for are engine/emissions related.

It could be a cam or crank sensor, those are a classic for giving trouble when hot. A clue for those is when you are trying to start the vehicle and it isn't starting, have a look at your rev conter and see if it's moving at all. Most rev counters will move just a little bit while cranking and this shows that the computer is recieving a crank signal. It's not the case with all vehicles but is with most. Using torque and the adaptor is completely definitive as aside from being able to read the fault codes you can observe the rpm signal in live data.

That aside. and I DON"T say this lightly at all. A pre 2007 QR25 is a horror story of an engine especially if coupled to a manual transmission. They are so bad that even though this is likely an unrelated problem, I would still say ditch the vehicle at your earliest convenience. Chance of catastrophic failure for about 70K onwards is very high.

Best of luck with it.

xs1100, Oct 2, 5:25pm
cheers jazz,no not a manual and actually heard it the other way round because after 07 they go to a dual mass flywheel in the manual and a cvt in the autos which is why I went older and standard trans.nice enough car for what I need.will check rev counter when get home end of week

thejazzpianoma, Oct 2, 9:32pm
It's not actually the transmission as such that I was referring to (I know that sounds weird, but bear with me). One of the key design flaws with the engine is the catalytic converter is mounted too close to the exhaust valves. What happens is due to some other design issues they can start using a bit of oil which causes the catalytic converter to start to break down. The problem then is bits of catalytic converter get washed back in through the exhaust valves with the air turbulence because it's so close. Those fragments cause scoring of the cylinder walls etc, which makes them burn more oil and the cycle starts to feed upon itself.

With a manual transmission on a downhill run with your foot off the gas they are more inclined to suck the bits back in. Same goes with down shifting to stop.

It's still an issue with automatic cars as well, just takes a bit longer.

With the post 07 vehicles I think they may have got a redesign of the exhaust manifold/cat situation. They definitely did something to improve them. (although still a poor design)

Anyhow, if you decide to hang on to it. Just watch the oil consumption, if it starts using then ditch it fast.

xs1100, Oct 3, 5:59pm
will do cheers but your the first person to bring this up even through the Australian forum in regards x trails

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 6:45pm
Unless the manifold is different on the X Trail (which is possible but unlikely) it will be affected. Just as the Presages are affected, which is how I cam to research and discover the issue.

In the States where they have massive volumes of these things they even found some cases where a third engine was replaced under warranty before 60'000 miles.

Obviously many get to a reasonable milage without collapse and the automatic transmission is a big help apparently. However it is my suspicion that a lot of these are being scrapped without people actually being aware of what's causing it. Think about it, if you had one in your shop that was burning oil and low on compression, would you really bother to investigate as far as the catalytic converter? How many would even realise it's possible to have particles move against the flow of exhaust and wind up in the combustion chamber?

Anyhow, the key thing is, if it starts using oil move it on. Also, avoid doing what so many others have done which is to put a replacement engine in while keeping the catalytic converter, which of course just ruins the next engine.

Best of luck with it.
(BTW. one last thought. I would suggest a quality synthetic oil with frequent changes may go a fair way to helping the catalytic converter last. No one has mentioned that in my research but I think it would make sense.)

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 7:35pm
Anyhow. what happened? Did you get a code out of it?

xs1100, Oct 3, 9:41pm
cheers im away for a couple days so just rang garage and said go pick it up and let me know,doing house up and away during the week so no real time.But thanks for help

xs1100, Oct 6, 6:19am
cam and crank sensor. bill including picking up and scanning and replacing $400.00. apparently very common on Nissans, Thanks again Jazz

thejazzpianoma, Oct 6, 6:46am
You are most welcome!
Thanks for the update.

the-lada-dude, Oct 6, 8:51am
Just going to pick up a 2005 Pressage I bought next week. that'll be the first thing to check and dump . the CAT

particles can come back to the cyl/combustion chamber via valve overlap. but only at a specific RPM band

intrade, Jan 1, 12:09pm
i done some engine mounts on a pulsar when i drove it out no shaking from engine to chassy now that the mount is fixed but the engine ran on 3 cilinder. found coil 4 not working at time changed plugs now permanennt dead 4 cilinder swapped coil 3 dead so its the coil.
Pluged in my scantool launch who is good on nissan or so i did think.
No codes no check engine light and no data on global obd 2 connects iso and tells no codes no pids . was gona see if i can turn the injectors off like i can on obd1 . wonder if i need the renault software . hmmm all bolts where 13 mill also and japas never had 13 . unfortunately i dont have the renault software.
N16 pulsar lucky i can test stiff without scantool . i know the driver must be fine because the pot 4 worked good with coil swap
thats the coil
NISSAN DFI COIL QR25 P12