BMW E46 Scan Data.

don_logan, Sep 13, 2:26pm
Hi.
Can anyone help with this? Scanned my 98 E46 318i with a Creator C310 scanner and its showing no stored fault codes. But if I look at the live data from the scanner I see a few interesting points.

1. Coolant temperature, engine. -31.5 deg C
(The temp data from Radiator sensor is the correct 105 deg C)
I figured maybe the coolant sensor in cylinder head faulty, so I fitted a new one, but still showing engine temp at -30deg C.
Car runs perfect and is returning around 35-37MPG.

2. Engine Speed 0 Rpm ?

3.Vehicle speed 192kph ? (while stationary)

Any help on where or what to check would be appreciated. Thanks

holdenparts1, Sep 13, 2:34pm
Id say your scanner isn't communicating with the vehicle correctly.

what was the reason behind scanning it in the first place?

don_logan, Sep 13, 2:44pm
Thanks Holdenparts, No real reason for checking, just was wanting to check all was OK. I'm told that scanner is fairly well regarding at connectivity and reading BMW specific fault codes?

intrade, Sep 13, 3:15pm
you replaced the wrong sensor then. or the wiring has a short to ground

intrade, Sep 13, 3:17pm
unplug it and see if you get a open circuit fault ?
All the stuff you talk is covered by generic obd2 emission tools.
The factory side will substitute values fixed value , the obd2 side is not allowed to do this by law . 2 rooms factory and obd2 room

saxman99, Sep 13, 3:53pm
Does your 98 model have an OBDII port (by drivers knee) or are you using an adapter for the older 'pacman' port (under bonnet?)

don_logan, Sep 13, 4:37pm
Intrade. Although I am prepared to stand corrected, I'm 100% sure its the right sensor, and there isn't another for engine temp. I understand the one in the bottom radiator hose (which appears to be reading correct temp of 105) is used to control the electric fan. The other one, located at the rear of the left hand side of the head (under the intake manifolds) has two sides to it, one side is used for the Temp gauge (which works fine) the other side is used by the computer for engine management. Its not so easy to pull the wire, and you cant reach it without removing the upper half of the intake manifold. (and loosing a bit of skin!) I think I will test the one that come out first?. Saxman I am using the 20 pin round plug under the bonnet. I didn't look if it also has a OBDII port by the knee. as when I looked online, it appeared that with the cars that have both, more features where accessed through the 20 pin socket? Just a note. the reading for engine temp is not static at -30 . it cycles through -30 to -31.5 so I dont think there is a wiring short to earth? How possible could it be to have two defective sensors?

monsieurl, Sep 13, 10:10pm
I'd say it's your scanner! Those cheap ones are ok for resetting service lights etc but are known for having confusing codes, Join Bimmersport and find someone with another scanner near you or pop into one of the sponsors workshops who normally do a proper scan for free or cheap.

marte, Sep 14, 3:55am
Quote[3.Vehicle speed 192kph ? (while stationary)]

Probably something to do with earths surface speed and in relation to it.
If the cars pointing the right way it would read 'zero'.
(Or maybe if its positioned directly on the north or south pole at one certain time of the year)

intrade, Sep 23, 6:11pm
yea i would like to know where you got that scnatool from you should try it on another car and another scanner on your car.