What will mechanics do when EV'S rule the market?

Page 1 / 5
eddiedean1, Jun 30, 12:21pm
Do they require similar maintenance to petrol engines or do auto sparkies take care of most of it?

, Jun 30, 12:29pm
No, they pretty much don't need anything, brake fluid every couple of years. There will be far fewer mechanics in the EV future. My old 2011 Leaf has had water in the washer and air in the tires in 50,000km that I've done over the last 2 years.

eddiedean1, Jun 30, 12:36pm
geez thats not bad. might have to get me one

bigfatmat1, Jun 30, 12:42pm
Adapt to change. There is enough time to start retraining.

solarboy, Jun 30, 12:44pm
Some dealers need to adjust to EVs. One had in the ad that they changed oil and filter before sale - standard write-up on each of their car ads but on all their Leafs ?

intrade, Jun 30, 12:48pm
i cean hear them rubb ther hands .

serf407, Jun 30, 1:01pm
Leafs still have oil (trans- gear reduction)and filters(cabin air)
https://lusciousgarage.com/blog/nissan_leaf_maintenance_services/

I wonder how the noisy boy racer set will increase the noise levels of EVs & decrease their efficiency- tow old cans behind the vehicle, extra loud stereos, heavy adjustable suspension systems, heavy oversize tyres etc, put rotaries in evs?

tigertim20, Jun 30, 1:02pm
They'll retrain.

Some of them are already adding to their skill sets, just like they had to when carbs went out in favour of fuel injection, or when any of the other changes in technology began to creep into regular vehicle technology.

bill-robinson, Jun 30, 1:07pm
they will go on the dole and take your retirement funds while waiting to retire

vivac, Jun 30, 1:11pm
Itll all be about capacitors and burst speed.
And tyre noise.

loud_37, Jun 30, 1:38pm
Most modern ICE cars now you don't have to do much to the engine, so the same things will need to be done on EV, etc. bushes, wheel bearings, shocks

, Jun 30, 1:51pm
You're kidding right? ICE engines all require regular servicing, fluids break down quickly when exposed to the high temperatures of an engine. They also have thousands of moving parts as opposed to three (if you count the bearings) in an electric motor.

neville48, Jun 30, 2:16pm
Someone will invent a "sort of" Spokie Dokie that will fit to the wheels of EV's to make more noise!

eddiedean1, Jun 30, 2:37pm
can't wait for nascar to be raced with EV vehicles! Spectators sipping lattes in recyclable cups and singing kumbayah together! Old Tony Stewart giving the drivers participation awards when they cross the finish line. Oh my days that will be epic

mad_signtist, Jun 30, 3:12pm
Bahhaa thats brilliant!

elect70, Jun 30, 3:18pm
Probably just a swap of battery pack after 10 years & before the next 10 the rest of the car will disintergrate anyway & you trade in on new as they become cheap . Batteries get recycled into new . No sign of big use for the plastics & rubber though

s_nz, Jun 30, 3:42pm
While there is less maintenance than in a petrol car, they still require maintenance.

For example, here is the USA maintenance schedule for a 2018 leaf:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2018/2018-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

loud_37, Jun 30, 5:32pm
They might have thousands of moving parts and an oil change takes less than an hour and less than $100, the engines are very reliable, most issues I have seen with ICE cars in the past 5 years have been electrics and ECU's and these are expensive and theres more of these in an EV.

eddiedean1, Jun 30, 5:44pm
Wasn't the future supposed to be cars running on compressed air? Was all the rage ten years ago what happened to that industry?

bjdw, Jun 30, 5:46pm
My industry (parts) is going to suffer too over the next decade or so. I might have to retrain as a barista.

eddiedean1, Jun 30, 5:47pm
lol could you hook me up a cheap latte?

bjdw, Jun 30, 5:53pm
Actually, with the amount of cafes in town now I should probably be selling parts for espresso machines instead of cars.

ml6989, Jun 30, 8:11pm
After 40 years in the motor trade and having put my sanity at risk of collapse I think I will deserve my Dole / Retirement combo. Why retrain for the last 4 years of work? Looking back, (which may be less than wise) the motor trade has been good but for the annoyance of having to deal with customers and cars!

mimik3, Jun 30, 8:14pm
They are desperate fr something to do - Replace the Brake Fluid every 12 months.
The reduction gear Oil is only an inspection

snoopy221, Jun 30, 8:21pm
Meh those old skool adaptable performance orientated mekniks will probably be playin wiff flux capacitors and using zee old lightening strikes ta make em boogie