Ply or steel for trailer deck?

Page 1 / 2
2sheddies, Aug 22, 3:48pm
What do you guys reckon? Looks to be about 7x5 with an extra tray up front on the drawbar. Had ply originally. Would the cost be much more to go with something like checker plate or panel steel or whatever? Ply would be easiest I suppose.

sifty, Aug 22, 3:58pm
What will it be carrying?
Ply = easier, cheaper, replaceable. But steel may be easier to clean, tougher, won't need replaced.

nzdoug, Aug 22, 4:11pm
Ply first then when its shabby put deck tread on top.

intrade, Aug 22, 4:17pm
dont use treated ply or it turns in t a rusty rotten item.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 4:50pm
Will be used for lawnmowing and gardening so will be carrying green waste and grass clippings. The clippings will be in wool sacks as I don't want them going straight in the trailer. Bloody grass, quickest thing to rust out a trailer.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 4:50pm
Really? What causes that?

intrade, Aug 22, 4:56pm
the copper chrome arsenic eats galvanising . my trailer is in the scrap heap now 99% Rust . Building laws also state you must use stainless steel on H4 etc treated timber . I used mostly macrocarpa but where i had to use arsenic pine i used stainless hangers.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 5:32pm
My trailer is non galvanised, does that make any difference? I'm just about to start cleaning it up and giving it fresh paint before the deck goes on.

intrade, Aug 22, 5:35pm
well do some research my rotten trailer was not galvanised either.
Google should bring up the problems treated timber .
i used macrocarpa on my car transporter 2 boards to drive on

serf407, Aug 22, 5:36pm
A number of trailers use the trans-tex or equivalent these days.

http://www.plytech.co.nz/transtex220/ If the trailer is used like a heavy duty tip truck like many weekend warrior hire trailers are then maybe - hardox? (3 and 4 mm etc thick plate) https://www.realsteel.co.nz/hardox-wear-plate/

stevo2, Aug 22, 5:44pm
^^ This is good stuff ^^
If you use ordinary treated ply, seperate the ply from the steel with supercoarse or similar. Dirt cheap and no issues with corrosion.
http://www.thermakraft.co.nz/thermakraft-products/supercourse-500

2sheddies, Aug 22, 6:38pm
It is good stuff the phenolic coated ply, but it's much too expensive for me. I'll look into your other suggestion, sounds good. I have to say I'm very impressed as it's done well up to now and it's been well used. Ply straight onto the chassis and save for the channel at the rear where the lights are mounted, there's no severe corrosion at all. Just the usual spots of light surface rust here and there. I'm unsure whether the original ply was treated or not, but it's definitely past it's use by date.

stevo2, Aug 22, 7:08pm
It would have been treated or it wouldnt have lasted a couple of years.
If you buy ply, make sure you get H3.2 treated (CCA) ply and NOT H3.1 (LOSP) treatment or you will be replacing it in two or three years.
Use supercoarse to separate the ply from the steel.

apollo11, Aug 22, 7:13pm
You can get Hardox 450 Brinell in 2mm, I think the sheets are only 1250mm wide though, so might need to join down the middle. It is really, really tough stuff, also really expensive.

oliver6, Aug 22, 8:13pm
I would go for ply.
It is easier to ahovel stuff off and easy to replace.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 8:27pm
Cheers mate, going to stick with the ply and supercoarse. It's having a full repaint first, and I'm easy on my gear so it should last a fair few years I hope.

Can I buy the supercoarse or variant thereof at a place like Mitre 10?

richynuts, Aug 22, 8:32pm
yes Malthoid is another name

trackim, Aug 22, 8:37pm
Treated ply, counter sunk riveted to chassis. Used the odd steel decked trailer and once there's a bend or warp in the sheet, it's there for ever. Also no matter how well secured to the chassis, the steel/alloy type decks rattle like a b. d when empty.

2sheddies, Aug 22, 8:46pm
Great thanks

2sheddies, Aug 22, 8:47pm
Yeah that's one of the things I didn't like about that idea. Also bloody slippery in the wet.

stevo2, Aug 23, 5:48am
Yes Mitre10 have it. Its available in various widths such as 50mm, 90mm 100mm 150mm 200mm etc.
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/thermakraft-super-course-500-90mm-x-30m/p/181988
Its made of plastic.
DONT get MALTHOID which is a tar based product as the CCA treatment in the ply will react with the tar and the malthoid will eventually dissolve.

intrade, Aug 23, 9:36am
i was looking at aluminium as a other alternative ? ulrichs aluminium i think was 320$ for a 4mm sheet 2.4 by 1,2 meter When i got a quote in the last year.
The problem is if a trailer is to heavy you cant push it empty no more. i can push my cartrailer by hand just with just 2 macrocarpa runner boards in place.

richynuts, Aug 26, 11:47am
yeah that’s true but takes a long time. trade-coarse dpc would be a better option.

mrfxit, Aug 26, 11:56am
Dampcourse.
Malthoid
supercoarse

Commonly used in the building industry to separate wood & steel from concrete foundations

shakespeare6, Aug 26, 12:32pm
truck decking /ship lap what ever you want to call it. Tough- out last any ply deck- I considered steel but truck lap was far better choice