Fifth Wheel RV.Anybody got one?

robin23, Jul 21, 10:44pm
Just trying to figure what to buy. We like the look and space of a 5th wheel but also a bus/coach. We will be touring for a couple of years then plan to live in it so need a pretty good size, whatever we buy. Kind of ruled out convention caravan we think. Any tips advice comments appreciated.

brouser3, Jul 21, 11:53pm
What size of living space are you contemplating? A 5th wheel that will give you similar living space as a ''full size'' bus/coach size motor home will probably need a vehicle that falls into the specifications that require a COF so running cost wise you probably won't be saving that much. Furthermore, you could probably tow a little car behind a bus/coach whereas your options would be 1. Use the tow vehicle for getting around, 2. have a bracket on the back of the 5th wheel and a scooter or motorbike on it, 3. have a toy hauler with your transport inside. 4. rely on a E-bike.

willy911, Jul 22, 10:47am
ive had english van,motor home and now usa van,english van smallish cant live in it,they are rubbish,we had 1 fault after another, to light and not strong,older ones leak,hard to self contain and cant hold much water etc,motor home can live in but exspensive to run,cof's a nightmare in older motor home every 6 months, worst than the dentist ,and costs as much,even when we never used for a year cost us heaps just sitting,rego,cof etc, we now have a usa rockford roo off road van(rego $33)has exspanding sides, front and back,tons of room has everything and can live in for long periods.these are built strong to last all quality fittings and appliances,. our tow vehicle is a 2006 falcon ute,people rubbished us,(im a mechanic 50yrs)we had rear suspension rebuilt $800 to take the weight.attached anti sway and level-ling system($600). put in a 200 litre water tank,we have 200 on board caravan as well ,so we can stay of the grid for at least a week, and honda geni ,tools etc,and a big plus we have 250hp ,not a pussy 2 to3 litre with a hairdryer attached that wont last towing heavy weights.best move we made.on the hills we leave the turbo diesels behind,and its not 2 thirsty on gas. considered 5th wheel but $$$spent didnt justify,our set up cost was $42000. cheap

tamarillo, Jul 22, 10:58am
Thoughts. If I was living long term in it I'd want Independant transport, so need to tow a Suzuki or have a tow vehcile with 5th wheeler or caravan.
I'd go for the one mechanical contraption, one engine, easy to take in for servicing, repairs, etc.
big NZ or Aus caravan looks good, but a 5th wheeler will give bit of extra space for total length so depends how much you need.
5th wheeler easier to tow and move around.
Plus what license do you have, big coach needs more than car.
You'll also get newer mechanics with tow vehcile, and one that can be updated. With a coach your liking older mechanicals, expense, inability to update as whole darn rig gets old.
Hope you're looking at RV forums, grey nomads etc. those who are doing it have great advice.

robin23, Jul 22, 4:43pm
First chance I've had to get back on here today. Thanks everyone for the very helpful tips. Now decisions, decisions. lol

franc123, Nov 16, 2:46am
Two comments I've heard from 5th wheeler owners who decided to swap back to a conventional tandem axle caravan were the fact that if something goes wrong with your tow vehicle your rig is suddenly immobilised too, you can't just hook something else up with a conventional towbar if you need to move it. The other is, depending on your age and agility, climbing up to the bed above the coupling eventually became tiresome.