Cheap runabout for wife / ideas

Page 1 / 2
ryanm2, Jul 31, 5:13pm
I’m after a runabout for the wife , been looking at the usual suspects like corolla, pulsar , tiida etc anything else I should be looking at , came across a Peugeot 407 which she likes , they ok ? Ideally mid 2000s , petrol ( short runs only ) , auto or manual. Cheers

msigg, Jul 31, 5:25pm
Out of those lot I would go corolla then pulsar, then tiida ,them only manual pug if you don't want trouble.You get what you pay for, so if it is cheaper there is a reason, think why. Good luck.

tamarillo, Jul 31, 6:23pm
Well since you ask. I'd a golf over any of those. Early 2000's golfs are pretty simple machines and nicer on road IMO.
Depends on what her priorities are.

edangus, Jul 31, 6:26pm
My 2 cents. and this should help you with all future references to your wife.

Never use the words cheap and wife in the same sentence.

djrandomguy, Jul 31, 6:27pm
with the 407, the best choices are the 2.0 petrol or 2.0 Hdi. Manual is always a better option with Pugs of this era. The 2.2 goes well but the intake fouls up requiring a big repair to clean it and the 2.7 diesel , while great when new, buy this time they suffer from cooling hose leaks which can be terminal and require hours of labour to replace. Check out the facelifted Citroen C5 too as it's built from the same stuff.

edangus, Jul 31, 6:30pm
On a more serious note. Stay away from the Tiida.

What do you class as cheap?

What size you looking for?

My daughter has been trying to kill her 02? Toyota Passo for about 3 years now. Great little run about. Cheap to run. Cheap to buy Parts etc.

ryanm2, Jul 31, 6:31pm
I actually got confused , probably after a 307 , not 407, but thanks for the info. Don’t know if I want another VAG product, the door handle stopped working On our B6 passat , how does that even happen?

gammelvind, Jul 31, 6:31pm
What sort of budget constitutes cheap to you? $500, $5000, $50,000? One mans cheap is anothers top end budget.

ryanm2, Jul 31, 6:32pm
Under 5k would be nice.

edangus, Jul 31, 6:34pm
Have a look at the Passos and the Boons.

Ugly. But no uglier than a Puegeot. And you will probably get change out of 5K

thejazzpianoma, Jul 31, 7:05pm
With the 407 avoid the 3.0 Petrol as they are forever leaking oil, also they tend to have the adjustable suspension which is very expensive when it needs replacing. Lovely car but expect to do minor things on a semi regular basis, not generally the sort of stuff that leaves you stranded though.

If you want more basic/reliable I would stretch the budget just a touch and get a Punto that is just a few years old (LIke 2015ish). They have been coming up close to 6K lately, even high spec NZ New ones with low km. They are not the luxury barge the 407 is but boy are they cheap, fun, practical and reliable motoring on the cheap.

gph1961, Jul 31, 7:07pm
electric bike

ian86, Jul 31, 7:13pm
A little Toyota Runx/Allex . nothing flash and only a basic car but normally a good reliable A to B car

kazbanz, Jul 31, 7:19pm
heck the world is your oyster really.
There are a LOT of choices out there. 5k gets you into a Runx/allex/corolla sedan hatch or even wagon if that floats her boat. A variation is the Raum -mechanically identical but stuyling is different.
if its 50km/h zone stuff then a little march/micra might be a bit of her.
Mechanically I like the DY series demio's on the proviso its got a decent alarm fitted. passo/boon would fit your budget.
An older Vitz/yarris/echo will go forever.
just a few ideas

ryanm2, Jul 31, 7:47pm
Appreciate the help guys , so many different search options to look through. Personally I like the runx corolla’s , it’s just 50km school run and work run it’s for.

djrandomguy, Jul 31, 8:03pm
307's get any engine no worries, auto's still less than good so a manual is a better choice. fiddly things like window switches give up but otherwise gravy.

minder54, Jul 31, 8:07pm
for wife peugeot 307. just sold her rice burner. have driven peugeot 40 years

seadubya, Jul 31, 8:13pm
Is doubling the budget and getting a leaf an option?

minder54, Jul 31, 8:14pm
auto peugeot is fine. but for trouble free running like anything they need a hot run to keep healhy

thejazzpianoma, Jul 31, 8:16pm
Another point with the 307 is fantastic real world crash survivability, but also vs the 407 it's much better in town. The 407 have a very long very low nose with the wheels set way back. This makes it annoying for parking near high curbs etc. The 307 still has amazing boot space, comfort and potentially leather etc (top model) while still being great in town.

If you have to have an auto one, you may as well get the high spec 2.0 Petrol. THere is no economy difference in the real world vs the 1.6 (I know I have owned several of each). Again if you have to have auto, make sure it's shifting OK both hot and cold then service it asap and repeat at least every couple of years. They are actually quite easy to do a drain and refil on at home so it isn't an expensive or involved process. Still a very average transmission even when functioning as it should though.

ryanm2, Jul 31, 8:43pm
No , done the sums and won’t go electric at this stage.

saxman99, Aug 2, 3:23pm
My wife drives a 2L manual Pug 307 and loves it. She is pretty hard on the car but it stands up OK. Has 312K on the clock now and still running like a train. Very few issues, little niggly things only. Interior is just starting to look a bit tired around the driver's area.

I would avoid a Pug with an Auto box, they have a very poor reputation.

dublo, Aug 2, 4:50pm
"Discerning people buy Hondas!" Civic from early 2000s would be good, or a Jazz. Look for NZ-new, lowest possible mileage and full service history.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 5:45pm
Civic is much better than Jazz. Jazz's are grossly over rated in my opinioin, they are not nice to travel any distance in and they have some stupid design faults. The transmission issues are well known but less known is the stupid way they rout critical sensor cables next to high voltage cables. This causes many a misdiagnosis and stupid problems. I don't know what Honda were thinking because they usually do design very well.

m16d, Aug 2, 6:21pm
When you said "runabout" for the mrs. I really thought you meant something like this.

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2014/11/198lx_running6.jpg