Cheap runabout for wife / ideas

Page 2 / 2
mohaka, Aug 2, 6:29pm
I'm in the same boat looking at a runabout,seem to prefer toyotas(though they cost more-hold their value?)-seem much more reliable and easy to fix yourself(older models) plenty of parts around.I was also thinking of a punto,as i liked fiats of yesteryear apart from rust issues.The bottom seems to fallen out of them could be something to do with the fact(I heard) that they've stopped importing them.I'm abit scared away from them looking at the issues my friend has with his,flashing warning lights going on(gearbox and steering) then disappearing-a problem looming around the corner maybe.

supernova2, Aug 2, 10:06pm

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 10:36pm
The thing with the Fiat is very little money buys a properly late model, NZ New low km one. Buy an abused high km one and your chances of trouble are much higher, as with any car.

Buy a nice one, treat it well and the chances of trouble are low. I must be on my thirty somethingish Fiat by now and this has always been the case.

Also, the diagnostics available for the transmission etc are very good. You can buy software almost as good as the factory tool for $80.

The Grande Punto is no longer imported because it's obsolete and replaced by the 500x. That doesn't mean parts are not available or anything like that, it's just the same as any other model change.

BTW, my Panda dualotic transmission has well over 200K on it now. The first clutch lasted a million gear changes (literally) and almost 200k. Other than that I have only replaced brushes on the pump motor ($100 to have it done). It changes as sweet as ever.

mohaka, Aug 2, 10:51pm
Yes still thinking about punto,what are their weakness,coil packs and auto GB and electrics in general?.I saw a 2000ish model go for around a grand on TM recently,problem was intermittent electric steering listing said.Do the earlier shape have more issues as I've seen a spate of them at pick a part at one stage.
Like the 1242 cc 16 v in manual,is that the most economical yet still peppy.

axelvonduisberg, Aug 3, 11:21am
Sounds like a great swap OP

comsolve, Aug 3, 11:29am
The Tiida is fine as a basic car. Only issue is some models are a bit low spec'd - lack electric windows, mirrors, etc. I have a Bluebird Slyphy which is the higher spec'd car. They are great if you like a 'firm' ride. They are a bit low to the ground. They also have no front jack point so need to be hoisted for a service. Otherwise good cars. Typical Nissan use a bit more fuel than other cars of the same engine size but also have better performance.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 3, 11:43am
MK2 Punto's are really past their use by date. For what you pay for a good one you can have the next model newer also in good condition. They were an amazing car in their day but at nearly 20 years old most are pretty well worn and abused. If it's old enough to need the steering replacement (which actually isn't that big of a deal to do) chances are the rest is quite worn as well and it will be the first of many annoying repairs.

If you are only looking at spending around $1000 I would just buy anything that is in reasonable condition regardless of make. I have picked up all sorts of bargains around that price point but never advise seeking a particular make/model. Some of my recent great cheap buys have been Peugeot's and Citroens with minor problems that have otherwise been old person owned.

The Punto's are at their best in the $6500 dollar mark where you are getting a 3 year old vehicle and an incredible amount of cheap reliable motoring ahead.

Also you could consider a VW Polo or Golf, still a few tidy older ones of those in good shape. They have super cheap parts available online that helps.

Really though, it's a crap shot in that price range, just buy whatever appears to have been well looked after. Also, consider seriously spending a bit more unless you are mechanically minded. Borrowing a couple of thousand or so extra can often make far more financial sense as you save it on repairs pretty quickly. At the 3K mark you are starting to get in to some properly good reliable little cars if you have your wits about you, but it is more of a challenge to find them than at the $6000 mark.

Feel free to run any advertisments you like the look of past me for an opinion. Best of luck.

Oh and what sort of milage/use will the car have?