Best driving performance SUV for under $18k

paul861, Sep 20, 7:41pm
just got a turbo petrol territory. it drinks heaps but goes real good

bazfan, Sep 16, 11:28am
Have a 2.5 CX7- drives pretty well with better handling than the new Outlander 2.4 that I had as a work car. It looks good too and our mechanic raves about how reliable that engine is ( he has a 2.5 Mazda 6 which has done 400K)

Only issue is its a bit slow off the mark and fuel economy around Auckland isn't great at 11.5L/100km. This summer I thought I would look to upgrade and get something a bit more fun to drive. Only thing is it has to be a SUV or higher wagon and have space for two dogs in the back and of course under $18k

thejazzpianoma, Sep 16, 1:59pm
You could get a Tiguan for that. Either with the 2.0 Turbo or the 2.0 Diesel. I would go Diesel so long as it's getting a bit of open road or motorway use as well. Go for the updated one with the DSG as opposed to the silly Jap Auto. I think that means 2011 or later if I remember rightly, you can no doubt look that up.

edangus, Sep 16, 2:26pm
You got to look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 or SRT if you can swing it. That or a Land Rover disco V8 or Range Rover Vogue/Sport V8.

db.price, Sep 17, 9:20am
Not often I say this but so far Jazz is the only sensible advice. OP wants to use less gas not more.

edangus, Sep 17, 9:28am
True. performance without expense. bit tricky for under 18K.

If better money was on the table it would be hands down the 5.0 M series X5 diesel. That thing was freaking awesome.

tamarillo, Sep 17, 11:08am
This.
Asian SUV's arent intended as drivers cars, which is fine, they do their job. That's changing but op is looking at older models at $15.
Only other would be a Subaru Outback with the flat 6 but that's not much on economy either.
IMO should also look at Volvo XC60 as personally I think the older Tiguan looks naff. Just IMO.

db.price, Sep 17, 12:56pm
Only Asian SUV that may come close us the cx5. But won't get many at that price.unless they have done big km.

laurelanne, Sep 17, 1:28pm
If you are happy the way it drives, just put your foot down and don't worry about a bit extra petrol.

tamarillo, Sep 17, 5:33pm
Good idea

edangus, Sep 17, 6:21pm
I had the later model of the X5 3.0, it was NZ New. Hated it. Gutless. Uncomfortable. ESP etc way to interfering. It really was terrible.

skull, Sep 17, 8:40pm
You should have discovered that before you purchased it.

edangus, Sep 17, 8:44pm
Fortunately it was a lease vehicle that ended up being my driver after a business acquisition. Was glad to see the back of it once the lease finished.
The M50 X5 is a real demon though. Much more comfortable too.

skull, Sep 17, 10:03pm
I doubt you'll get one of those for $18k that's worth having, we need to be reasonable about what the budget is going to buy.

edangus, Sep 17, 10:10pm
True. I liked the prior model Territory. they still overpriced?
The AWD was pretty good. Not sure how the turbo ones went. Once again though. wee bit thirsty.

bazfan, Sep 19, 8:09pm
Thanks guys. What about the Kia Sorrento R diesel? It's meant to have quite a bit of torque? They other option is to suck up fuel costs and go for a 3.6 outback- although its qa very ugly car

skull, Sep 19, 8:42pm
Kia Sorento is 147kw and 441nm, the kilowatts is nothing to write home about but for sure the torque of a diesel is really nice to have. If you plan on fatting about you'd probably be wanting a bit more power than diesels in your price range are offering.

robotnik, Sep 19, 9:15pm
Nissan Murano 350XV, the SUV variant of the Fairlady Z sports car!

tamarillo, Sep 19, 9:39pm
that's a very generous describtion ! Variant. nah. Platform of a sedan with cvt box. Sharing an engine block maybe.

robotnik, Sep 20, 2:19am
Same VQ35DE engine certainly. I guess it must be the same platform as the Maxima, which is a fairly sporting sedan.