Faulty products

gymee1, Sep 6, 7:42pm
I purchased a mobility mate tray for my car so I could take my Mobility scooter with me. After installation there were a few issues with the tray and i had the agent back to do some alterations. I haven't used it much because of ill health about 3 to 4 times since I purchased in March this year I did notice that it was swaying with the weight so I took it to the scooter dealer who pointed out several shortcoming such as the welding on the load bearing parts and the tendency of the car to lift in the front. He also advised that should i have an accident the insurance company won't pay. I have tried ringing the Mobility place but just get a disconnected tone Suggestions please

tony9, Sep 6, 7:59pm
First up, your insurance will not be affected unless the Mobility Mate caused the accident and you Knew it was inherently faulty and not installed correctly.

What model of car do you have and is it supported by Mobility Mate?

Have you tried the contact form on the web site?

supernova2, Sep 6, 8:03pm
Hmm - web site is a dead link - well it was for me.

tony9, Sep 6, 8:12pm
And me. But the internet archive has it. https://web.archive.org/web/20180128041814/http://mobilitymate.co.nz/contact/

They are on the company web site with director's address. But their phone number is not listed.

gymee1, Sep 6, 8:36pm
It was installed by a reputable company who assembled the tray to the agents specifications The car is a modified Nissan prairie, because of my disability ( unable to bend my legs more than 30 degrees )as I said in my original post and the prairie was modified for my use. I rang the 0800 number which is the only contact I had. They have vacated the premises in Halswell

gymee1, Sep 6, 8:40pm
tony9 wrote:
First up, your insurance will not be affected unless the Mobility Mate caused the accident and you Knew it was inherently faulty and not installed correctly. The scooter agent I took it to for examination and who pointed out the faults that were made by the manufacture not the Firm who installed the tray onto my car, the scooter agent is also the adviser for the insurance companies

gymee1, Sep 6, 9:33pm
The Site does not respond I left a message and nothing happened the contact number is the same I rang earlier

supernova2, Sep 7, 12:21am
Sounds to me as if Mobilty Mate has gone mobile. In other words "buggered off"
Anyway under the CGA the agent who sold and fitted it has to make it work or refund your money so go back and hassle them.

gymee1, Sep 7, 7:45am
Would love to, however they appear to have vanished, I had thought of going to the Court registrar for advice, they were most helpful when an elderly neighbor got ripped off by a door to door salesperson

yz490, Sep 7, 3:09pm
https://www.eldernet.co.nz/Facilities/Equipment_and_Products/Mobility_Mate/Service/DisplayService/FaStID/14181

Gosh-- sticks out a hell of a long way. [steering] Heavy car, big motor to keep the weight on the front maybe ok. I dare say it has a vehicle recommendation type. It's how we used to carry our mx M/cycle in the "60's & "70's, on an AP5 Valiant then XC Falcon in my case but was hard against the boot, so close to the rear axle. Would a small trailer be more suitable in this instance?. Sorry, i realise you want your one sorted & i'm just woffling on. Hope ya get some joy.

tony9, Sep 7, 5:14pm
The company is still live on the company website and includes the director's address. If the person/company that sold a product goes bust under the CGA you can take it up with the manufacturer.

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/5863093

gymee1, Sep 7, 7:28pm
Thanks tony I'm going driving Monday morning

buyit59, Sep 7, 7:43pm
Two addresses appear. one rural CHC and one in Hornby for both principals of company. (.unsure which is most recent. All the best.

gymee1, Sep 7, 8:38pm
Thanks but the guy called Flood is the one I dealt with so I'll go and see him

gymee1, Sep 7, 8:47pm
Just a thought I will take the car and scooter iTo the A.A to get a written breakdown of the faults, to present to Mr Flood

supernova2, Sep 30, 7:02pm
Now I think about it why would you expect that hanging a mobility scooter off the back of your vehicle would be a good thing to do? You haven't said what type of scooter or what type of car but some of those scooter can weigh about 300kg. That's a hell of a weight to be swinging about on the back bumper of your car specially if your car only weighs 800 - 900 kg.