Personalised plate too long

firob, Jul 31, 12:24pm
My current std number plate has a rightangle bend at each end to fit plate area. Have now a personalised plate needs shortening to fit the plate area. Who best to do this without stuffing up the new plate ?
Thanks

dublo, Jul 31, 1:53pm
You may be able, depending upon the shape of the panel, to place spacers behind the plate to give it clearance and enable it to be kept flat.
I have seen plates with bent-out ends and they are not a pretty sight!

petspitstop, Jul 31, 2:46pm
For USA car.
If it is a NZ personalised type called a "MESSAGE PLATE" (taller than the standard size) then you can just shorten the ends and put into a USA license plate surround.

m16d, Jul 31, 3:54pm

tibby1947, Jul 31, 4:32pm
My p/p is only 2 letters, 1 number, example GF1.
Whilst in UK I had a perspex one made, black on reflective white, same size letters, but plate as short as the 3 digits allowed. Looked great.
Stopped by police 3 times, not to NZ regs, Perspex not metal, too short.
Changed back to my NZ issue plate to avoid being pulled over.

richardmayes, Jul 31, 4:41pm
I saw a nice installation of a NZ personalised plate on the front of an R32 GTS-T skyline (import obviously!) that had about 10mm at each end of the plate folded forwards 90 degrees to shorten the plate. From any distance it was hard to spot as the folded forward edge was only slightly proud of the line of the bumper (number plate mount area was an approx 10mm deep recess in the bumper) and it didn't obscure the text of the plate.

Any engineering shop with a sheet metal folder would have the ability to do this. No idea if it is legal (probably not?) but it was a fairly tidy looking installation.

supern0va, Jul 31, 5:04pm

supern0va, Jul 31, 5:05pm
Cut to size to fit in recesses front and rear. Trimmed a little either side and shaped the corners to fit the front recess. Law leaves me alone as its easy to read.

lookoutas, Jul 31, 8:07pm
If it's a red car, you're not allowed to do it.

lookoutas, Jul 31, 8:17pm
Because it does depend on the shape of where it's going.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/843332274.jpg
That is spaced back about 20mm on a folded stainless-steel panel. But that can only be done due to the shape of the bumper.

"I hate bent or folded plates too"

firob, Aug 3, 12:07am
Richardmayes; Thats exactly what I want. Must be legal as my current std Blk/white plate has rt/angle bend & looks okay. Just need to get a sheetmetal bender who is not going to stuff up the new plate.Any recomendation, Ch Ch ?

mrfxit, Nov 5, 6:43pm
Technically . . . not legal without GOVT certification as a number plate is considered a legal GOVT document.
To alter it, is to commit fraud.

BUT, there is a certain level of discretion allowed for specific size mounting area's as long as it is std for that manufacture of vehicle.

OR in other words, Be nice, don't make a mess of it & it will be ok