Christchurch Police need help to ID car part

Page 1 / 2
smoth_007, Jul 7, 2:10pm

poppy62, Jul 7, 2:25pm
IMO. Looks like it could be a cover from where the front towing pin would screw in. A closer shot may be able to identify year of manufacture and possibly whether Japanese or other. Looks like off a Japanese car.

tshop, Jul 7, 2:53pm
could be off any car, mirror insert maybe

peanuts37, Jul 7, 2:53pm

jmma, Jul 7, 3:29pm
Manual Mirror?

saxman99, Jul 7, 4:22pm
Fog light blanking cover?

nice_lady, Jul 7, 4:29pm
Dunno if it's the media or the cops but a higher res photo might be of help.

kazbanz, Jul 7, 4:46pm
given the size of it I'd say its a mirror cover

snoopy221, Jul 7, 4:51pm
sorta my thoughts as well and it has numbers on it bit like tail light lense numbers probably

bumfacingdown, Jul 7, 4:52pm
"Part of a car wing mirror (pictured) could be the key to finding the driver involved in a hit-and-run in Christchurch."
Possibly more what kind of car more than what is the object is the required info

bjdw, Jul 7, 5:04pm

strobo, Jul 7, 5:54pm
Looks like the smooth part of it is the backing where the flat mirror glass was affixed to.It doesn't look like an electric adjustable type or heated type.Going by the other side it has no circular locating lugs for the articulate. I cant place it with any brand I know of.

strobo, Jul 7, 6:07pm
Try copy & paste it to Picasa viewer.

nice_lady, Jul 7, 6:08pm
I saved a copy of the pic it didn't help

strobo, Jul 7, 6:09pm
Try another method save to file my pics then transfer or send to from there or drag & drop,also windows media use that if it allows.
Waits for intrade to expose which euro trash it come off.

snoopy221, Jul 7, 6:22pm
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/105314434/christchurch-hitandrun-victim-dies-police-urge-driver-to-come-forward

The vehicle involved would have been travelling north when it hit Pearce-Loe, Cottam said. It was still unclear how fast it was going at the time.

Cottam released a picture of a right-hand wing mirror found at the scene in the hope someone would recognise it. He said police did not know the make or year of the car to which the mirror would have been attached.

Methink missypussy. maybe early chariot?
Still reckon the numbers will be like tail light lense numbers

strobo, Jul 7, 6:30pm
Yeah same ,thought sigma .went through the lot earlier and nah couldn't match it.They said car frontal impact but he had head injury ! so was thinking it a left side mirror if the vehicle as it was traveling north .A wee rice burner truck wing mirror of a jap 2 piece type at head height first went through my mind .and made more sense at that height someone hit on that side of the road ,from the left side if it was right side the driver would be expected to see clearway someone crossing the road at that hour.Other than being frontal impact and a serious head injury thrown across right side into the wing mirror!I don't see any L or R marking on the part as would expect that is what bothers me

supern0va, Jul 7, 6:46pm
Take a photo on yr cell phone. then expand the pict.

bjdw, Jul 7, 7:50pm
I must be missing something because the picture I'm looking at shows a piece of plastic that is 55x90mm at it's widest points. That would have to be a pretty small wing mirror. Surely it's a tow ring cover.

jmma, Jul 7, 8:24pm

richynuts, Jul 7, 8:30pm
I think it’s a tow hook cover. I reckon if police go to somewhere like the Bumpershop they may be able to identify it.

strobo, Jul 7, 8:37pm
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/105314434/christchurch-hitandrun-victim-dies-police-urge-driver-to-come-forward
This article states it as part of a wing mirror. Someone thinks it a tow eye hook cover at the front and I agree with that too.There is also covers like that on some truck mirrors too where the re-tension bolts are on the swivel ball but are usually curved in shape with the mirror case at the base!

gunhand, Jul 7, 8:43pm
I have thinking of where that sort of clip system is used on a car, never seen one like that on a mirror but have on blanks for fog lights etc but they tend to be ribbed or shaped a bit more as a rule. But now that tow hook is mentioned, well yea seen that kinda thing on tow bar tongue covers as well.

bjdw, Jul 7, 8:48pm
Maybe they did find a wing mirror but they have printed the wrong pic. I would guess someone at news agency is making guesses because of the shape without looking at the ruler it's pictured with.

smoth_007, Jul 7, 10:21pm