Stolen car website up by police.

rsr72, Dec 1, 10:38pm
Excellent news-

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/6075617/Stolen-vehicles-police-website-launched

Pity no dates though. Some could be years old perhaps.

jsbike, Dec 1, 10:48pm
it does show the date it was reported stolen, try the plate 63wed

rsr72, Dec 1, 10:52pm
On the Excel spreadsheet list! Can't see anything to click on.
Even that plate is not on the plate numerical/alphabetical listing order.

jsbike, Dec 1, 10:57pm

rsr72, Dec 1, 11:00pm
I now see, when reg keyed into box.
The city/town spreadsheet listings are more basic.

doublek, Dec 2, 1:53am
Okay - in simple terms, how hard is it for the following to happen;
- Cameras placed all around the show
- Photos taken of the passing cars
- OCR to convert the image of the plate into a 6 character string
- That string checked against the database
- If there is a match, the photo is forwarded to a team to investigate. They then have the time and location it went past. You could also automate it to send alerts to nearby units.
- If there is no match, no photo kept.
Civil liberty groups would be up in arms (which is a double win from my pov). The challenge would be on whether the string could be checked against other databases (no WOF/Rego etc).

vtecintegra, Dec 2, 1:57am
Not hard at all, indeed that's exactly how they work congestion charges in London

Just expensive

doublek, Dec 2, 2:09am
Cost to the economy is in excess of $80 million per year. With deterance and potential recovery factored in, every $1 spent could save $2! Funding would come from insurance companies for a start.

mm12345, Dec 2, 2:15am
Also what the UK traffic police use.A bit scary from what I've seen, they look at a screen in their patrol car that looks like a GPS, with the cars in sight shown on it, presumably from radar, and if it's got no "MOT" or insurance etc, from OCR scan of the reg plate, it comes up in red.Whenthey pull it over, they also seem to be able to pull up other locations where the car's been plotted.
Civil liberties!Hah - as a child, as part of justifying indo-chinese military action, we were told about the evil chinese, how their government spied on the citizens electronically, used propaganda to get the message across.Couldn't happen here.
But it's okay if it happens here now, because our governments are trustworthy - right!Of course it's okay - if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about.

cantab1971, Dec 2, 2:18am
yep I like it.and we already have that system at least at the Johnston Hills tunnels, so theoretically stolen cars can be tracked going through them. which might help investigators if the car is northbound.could nab it in a small town.but if it was stolen up north and is south bound.well.not too much use knowing it just went into Auckland :)but, more cameras around would start to help.maybe make parking buildings scan rego plates.then pretty soon you wouldn't be able to park a stolen car anywhere!

mm12345, Dec 2, 2:40am
How long do you reckon it would take car thieves to tweak to the knowledge that if they carry a spare set of plates with them, and a screwdriver or some double-sided tape, they can circumvent all this technology!

Despite being pond-scum, most seem to be pretty good at what they do.I've got video of two thieves stealing my car, and they had the thing open, engine started, and were off down the road in 25 seconds.An extra 5 seconds to stick a set of plates over the top using some double sided tape won't bother them.

twink19, Dec 2, 2:41am
the police herehave photo recocnition cameras in some cars now, gives alldetails same as in Australia

rsr72, 4 days, 7 hours
How about stolen parts .

Guest at Tuesday's Rugby Awards Dinner at the Langham Hotel returns to his car in the next-door Wilsons carpark building and is dumbfounded to find his car jacked up and the rear wheel stolen, gone.!
Cost for a replacement wheel, $1,400.

Be careful out there folks, the lowlifes are all about.