Me again :) thoughts on a towing.

lisah23, Aug 16, 7:41pm
vehicle please, diesel, reliable grunty and cheap to run. Hope i am not asking too much. I am looking at up grading as my truck is getting tired. Thank you.

budgel, Aug 16, 7:46pm
A purchase price budget would help, along with what you will be towing.

strobo, Aug 16, 7:47pm
Need more info in like what you are needing it for ie what price range,what type of equipment are you likely to tow and what distances.will it be an every day vehicle etc. Most 6cylinder Toyota Land-cruisers with 4 wheel drive ,albeit a bit pricey and non turbo will do the job for towing , lower maintenance ,reasonable fuel consumption ,long life . But id stay away from flash people mover full of safety feature crap and over kill tech stuff that goes wrong[ you need to avoid 5th gear with a 1:1 ratio final at the trans too

intrade, Aug 16, 7:48pm
well Them things you ask dont exactly go togather.
you need to state what you have maybe wise to spend 8 grand rebuilding your old one if its not to far gone.
because new stuff i was looking at and the guy spent 11 grand i have the invoice copys and its still broken down. i can see what the problem is they fixt 11 grand worth of symptoms instead of finding the original problem on them Diesel and its only a 2007 model.
What it needs is most probably a new engine . turning it in a 20 grand repair if its to be fixed.
Just to show you what sort of money will go poof if a new one goes wrong. looks like its broken since march also.

sw20, Aug 16, 7:56pm
200 Series Landcruiser.

strobo, Aug 16, 8:07pm
Just to add ,a lot of people mover type vehicles are not designed for towing.they are designed for carrying passengers only and that's how the gear range is spaced out specifically for carrying people or loads within the vehicle . ya know you can put a toebar on anything ,but most of the transmission problems start from towing in top gear likely 5th with a 1:1 ratio ,use more fuel it wont have much torque curve using that gear like over drive towing to move along faster is something to consider in staying away from ,that type of vehicle it will cost you in fuel and repairs .Same with a 4cyl diesels slugging it out they wont last.Stick with a 6 pack is the way to go

intrade, Aug 16, 8:16pm
This guy has good info. however them cars are $$ to buy quality dont come cheap and neither does servicing or lack there off as you see him mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6xSVlvwaA

lisah23, Aug 16, 8:16pm
Thanks for your input so far. I will be towing a double float with one horse on most of the time. Towing probably once or twice a week for an hour each time. It will also be for everyday use. Price up to 25K. I do not need all the bells and whistles. I have a Nissan Pathfinder at the moment and not worth spending money on it as it has never really been a good tower but is very economical even towing but really struggles on hills, and I mean small hills :)

msigg, Aug 16, 8:49pm
Well ford ranger is great, prado is great, old landcruizer is great,what do your friends with other horses/floats use.

strobo, Aug 16, 9:22pm
You might like one of these ,4 to 5 star review rated, they were selling cheap here in chch too.Im not familiar with that model , has some tech but seems like they all do.Most listed are a fair price,
https://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/toyota-fjcruiser/70246 $16000 at 72000kms, and a bit of high end luxury to go.I don't like the shape myself or the v6 ,inline 6 motor is better .Looks like a lugger has 6 speed The FJ is powered by a 4.0-liter V-6 engine that puts out 260 hp. The rear-drive version is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. A part-time, four-wheel-drive configuration is available with the [automatic transmission, while a full-time four-wheel drive is available with a six-speed manual only]. Engine: 4.0L V-6
Body style: SUV
Fuel Economy: 17 / 20 mpg petrol ,probably why cheaper! but nice vehicle all the same.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/fj-cruiser-76147

lisah23, Aug 16, 9:22pm
they use all those and more, toyota hilux too. I have looked at all those but just wondering if there is something else out there that I do not know of, just to give me more options.

franc123, Aug 16, 9:27pm
The key thing here is do you want a cargo tray or will an SUV do? You need to decide what style of vehicle you want before anybody can start making more specific recommendations

gph1961, Aug 17, 4:42am
oxen
slow,reliable,cheap to run but need a lot of water.A bit like a clapped out truck with a blown head gasket

lisah23, Aug 17, 5:48pm
Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate the time you have put into the reply to me.

lisah23, Aug 17, 6:36pm
I know of a BT50 2013 with 210 on the clock, what price would you put on that? thank you.

s_nz, Aug 17, 10:29pm
Price varies substantially with trim levels & features (especially auto and 4wd), so can't say.

Do a search on here, and look at the asking prices for comparable cars. Given your budget and desire for reliability I would look at newer & lower mileage rangers. Don't expect to get 450,000km out of them like the old land cruisers.

s_nz, Aug 17, 10:38pm
Could also increase your budget slightly and look a cheaper new vehciles. That way you get a 3 year warranty. Will be down on power vs the ranger / BT-50 though.

This one has a 2.5T tonne tow rating is $22,600 +GST + ORC + Tray + Tow bar.

https://www.mahindra.co.nz/pik-up-single-cab-chassis-4x2-s6/

I have never been in one, but apparently the Mahindra utes are strong and reliable. I have heard some of the Aussie mines are getting them to replace their Land Cruiser 70's (they are roughly half the price, so as long as they last more than half the time the toyota's do, the mines are winning.)

lisah23, Aug 18, 7:02pm
thank you s_nz

bwg11, Aug 19, 5:52pm
I would suggest that the FJ would be worth looking at if you can find a high km one cheap enough. Dont be concerned by 200k, there will be another 200k in it. I've owned one for nearly 10 years - longest I've ever owned a vehicle. A other poster is correct they do get pushed around with a really heavy trailer than a 200 series because of the shorter wheelbase. Just like the cockies way back preferred the long wheelbase original FJ's for towing back in the day. That 4 litre six is a lovely motor - I'm currently driving a 2019 sprinter which does pull well for a small four, but is harsher and noisier at 2500 under full throttle load than the FJ at 4500. If you are not doing huge mileages the FJ would be worth considering.

andy61, Aug 19, 6:43pm
Try finding an old Nissan Safari that doesnt have a rusty roof! , you wont pass any WOF and need to spend an arm and leg patching the roof up again. Sorry but there are better Utes/trucks/SUVs out there.

strobo, Dec 4, 1:13pm
I was brought up with old landcruisers and newer ones today in our family business.But I say any 4 cylinder high speed jap diesel is going to wear out twice as quick especially with eco dpd systems ,like the D4 I de scunged a couple a year ago the inlets were the carboned up to the size of a 50c piece or so I couldn't believe it at the kms .The are over squared engines to begin with and cleverly space the gear ratios out to maximize usage.That's why I suggest 6 cyl with longer legs and longer life ,lower maintenance ! I my self would prefer non electronic an pumps inline but not a rotary pump ,but things have changed today and they are stretching 4cycl capabilities today the likes the Ford Ranger /mazda BT 50 . Looks nice but wouldn't touch one .as I have worked on a enough of them to know better .Thats why they sell cheaper and more affordable to the masses . Carbon builds up the compression ratio increases and they think they can tow the Titanic until the boilers blow. And to say further any 4 cylinder is more likely to be pushed around than a 6 or v8.But turbo 4s are just a fizzle gimmick. Handy for someone sure They ok ,but what ever you got make sure it suites your needs.