Transmission swap to floor change cert question

b00f01, Mar 1, 8:23pm
Hi there, as title states anyone know if cert is needed to convert a colom shift vehicle to floor shift. its not auto to manual or anything so as far as i know there wouldnt be any pedal box changes. There is also a removable panel on the tunnel that can be un-screwed so shouldnt be any issues there either. Cheers

tony9, Mar 1, 9:04pm

kazbanz, Mar 2, 8:07am
Does that vehicle come speced as a floor change ?

msigg, Mar 2, 8:41am
Well in these stupid times I would just change it and keep all the original parts for future. It is not a safety issue but it is a system change which does require a cert if worried. Just do it, you be ok.dont tell the government k.

tony9, Mar 2, 9:51am
Can you give a reference for that?

The VIRM I referred to above does not indicate that a cert would be needed.

msigg, Mar 2, 12:16pm
Yes we'll under modify, a system for changing gears. That's the way I read it, but they try to cover every little thing u do now days, not like back in the good old days.

b00f01, Mar 2, 1:26pm
Vehicle is a 95 d21 datsun. As stated it has a removable panel in the tunnel for a shifter. I beleive some did come out floor change but that was more the 4x4 models i think

skiff1, Mar 2, 4:53pm
ive got a D21, manual on the floor. Original.

marte, Mar 2, 6:16pm
I dunno what the setup is, but would having bench seats or bucket seats come into it.
Bench seat with column shifts good, but bench seats with floor shits awkward.

b00f01, Mar 2, 7:06pm
Yea thats what i thought to marte but have seen the same single cab 2wd utes with bench seat and floor shift also and didnt seem to bad but no clue if they came out that way

tweake, Mar 2, 7:47pm
possibly the difference between nz models and imports. nz never got the full range.

the other handy thing is D22 seats are a straight swap and they all have floor change. tho usually people fit singles.

hotelcarpet, Mar 2, 9:32pm
No you can even change to auto or vice versa if the model came out with one.

tweake, Mar 2, 9:41pm
it doesn't work like that.
auto's generally require brake pedal change and that always requires a cert. it doesn't matter if they came out with an auto model and you swap over all the factory gear, it still requires a cert.

hotelcarpet, Mar 2, 9:43pm
that said a cert is not that bad of a process my only complaint is your wheel size is on the cert plate and what if I want to change mags one day.

tweake, Mar 2, 9:44pm
you need to chat to lvvt people. they will tell you easy enough. https://www.lvvta.org.nz/

hotelcarpet, Mar 2, 9:47pm
Doesn't buy the pedal box that the model came with go to VTNZ and ask. Also any pedal change such as a weld on it needs to be crack tested an certed. A stock pedal -box from the wreckers is fine.

supernova2, Mar 2, 9:49pm
Same here. Lots of them were floor change.
Not sure though if the bench seat needs a recess in the front to clear the lever though.
Always awkward with 3 people though.

hotelcarpet, Mar 2, 9:51pm
You need to try the VIRM or VTNZ

supernova2, Sep 7, 8:04am