Ford on Fair Go

Page 1 / 3
trade4us2, May 31, 8:13pm
Ford had better sort out their transmission problems, or people will stop buying Fords. Take note, Ford NZ.

aoc1, May 31, 8:17pm
Fix or repair daily

cjohnw, May 31, 8:24pm
Went thru it with a new Focus we bought and Ford NZ were a bunch of ars**oles. Worst company we have ever had the misfortune to deal with.
Will never buy another Ford, . . . ever!

trade4us2, May 31, 8:31pm
My Ford Telstar was the best, most reliable car I ever owned. But it was really a Mazda 626.

franc123, May 31, 8:36pm
They better get on with it. It would only take a 15% or so drop in Ranger sales for the NZ market to be vacated by Ford, nobody buys any of their other cars in any quantity, they buy Mazda instead. This sort of behaviour is a big factor in why Holden went belly up in Australia, sold too much junk for too long for not so cheap prices with lousy backup. That whole transmission system should have been dumped, the cars recalled and conversion kit to a normal auto trans sent out to dealers to convert the cars, or else bought them back. It was riddled with issues including the fundamental one of the clutch being too small.

john7891, May 31, 8:56pm
My wife purchased a new Ecosport which had problems with powershift transmission. Liked the car otherwise .However, got so she distrusted it and traded for a new Mazda 2.
Hell will freeze over before she purchases another Ford
She has no complaints about Service Dept - felt they did what they were allowed to do to fix problem.

socram, May 31, 8:56pm
Wasn't paying too much attention, but wasn't it plastic components in the clutch? No doubt Ford accountants more interested in saving a couple of dollars than ensuring longevity.

Would love to know what the Ford development engineers thought about it and who made the decision.

Never ever owned a Ford and probably never will.

john7891, May 31, 9:11pm
Yeah, as I understand plastic components become brittle and break - who ever thought plastic would do that?

apollo11, May 31, 9:14pm
Similar with my Mondeo. Engine, anyway.

trade4us2, May 31, 9:15pm
Why would it cost $8000 or $11,000 to fix that?

gph1961, May 31, 9:19pm
not the point

harm_less, May 31, 9:27pm
Was the Holden issue also a commonly suffered premature transmission failure in the Cruze that they also refused to take responsibility for?

franc123, May 31, 10:06pm
I was not referring to that specifically, it was more a general attitude thing with regard to warranty claims in Australia. The JG Cruze GF6 was indeed troublesome but that wasnt the only GM product it was fitted to.

differentthings, May 31, 10:16pm
It was a well known fault at the time. They are talking about 10-15 year old cars. They dropped that transmission and replaced it with a better one. Nothing to do with the cars they sell now

franc123, May 31, 10:48pm
The issue is more that the problems were known at an early stage and Ford globally thought they would just let nature take its course, deal with affected cars on a customer complaint basis only,and even then apply only token 'fixes' that worked temporarily at best or not at all, ignored local consumer guarantee laws that override their statutory warranties, and refused to admit there was multiple design faults. I guess dumping it in the following models after such a short life is admisson it was a lemon.

likit, Jun 1, 7:55am
Gee I’m lucky, have purchased approximately 15 Holden’s in my 48 years of driving & never struck anything out of the ordinary going wrong with them. Still have 2 in my garage now.

tgray, Jun 1, 8:06am
Yes, but were any of them Focus, Fiestas or Ecosports?

gusthe1, Jun 1, 8:09am
There is a good chance none of his 15 Holdens were Focus's, Fiestas or Ecosports.

likit, Jun 1, 8:28am
I was referring to francs comments about the reasons why Holden went under in his opinion

kazbanz, Jun 1, 8:32am
It does on the surface look like some sort of retrofit kit using metal could be used. Wouldn’t it be cool if some clever fella from the back blocks machined up metal copies of the failed part s

andy61, Jun 1, 9:30am
Theres a bit more to it than machineing up copies of the failed parts - if you read some of the issues on Google - some of the problem are caused by the gearbox computers as well as the components in the clutch/ gearbox failing. Ford in Australia were forced to recall/fix/ buy back the cars/offer extended warranties by ACCC. But I think Ford still got away with it ,as a result many people refuse to buy another Ford product, Volkswagen also has similar issues with their transmissions,

intrade, Jun 1, 9:37am
i did not see it must have fallen asleep no wonder i was up 2 am already. i found it to watch here
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/fair-go-some-ford-owners-claim-theyre-paying-thousands-repairs-cars-they-dont-trust-anymore

intrade, Jun 1, 9:43am
Ok 100,000km thats where most modern cars are end of live of most modern vehicles. Then it seems to be the power shift mondeo.
Allan howat has a fleet of mondeos if you want to know what fails and what ones are good .He did say he does not know what to replace the fleet with next . because its all trash out there basically.

alowishes, Jun 1, 9:43am
I’ll stick with manual gearbox cars if I intend to own them for any length of time.

intrade, Jun 1, 10:00am
So transmission service ever 60.000km . livetime fluid is a bs word to sell you trash comedian cadogen is not wrong about dealers in most aspects.
. -
. -
. -
Now to the stupid designe Well i told you all well before this is due to patent laws. Manufacturer infringing on patents of other manufacturer would have to pay roaltys for every component infringing on patent. The good stuff is already patented, So they have to come up with all sorts of abortions To not technically infringe on other systems.
. -
. -
Ford parts are expensive yes and if you dont use ford parts its unlikely going to last or worst case work at all. Ford is the make that everyone who professionally ever made videos of repairing ford including allan howat and german Redhat engine rebuilder. etc.
. -
. -
Now them plastic retainers parts it could well be that one could find them on wish for 20 bux shipped As its mostly electronic parts that are the danger of not working on any ford.
Now having china pirate stuff has its benefits to the world, I doubt anyone would be able to make cheap car keys if it was not for china who pirate other east block hackers software and clone the components So it could well be that you could find them clutch plastic clips on wish or ali for cheap.