Audi's V8 Diesel

loaderparts, Aug 10, 2:48pm
Hi everyone - I'm after advice and information from those in the know about the abovementioned V8 TDI in a 2010 A8.

To be clear, I am asking for a friend who is a die hard Holden lover but who has never used the TMMB.
A bit of history - he does a lot of kms per year travelling back and forth from north to south islands for work and play and replaces his cars every two years or so and prefers to buy them lower mileage and also when the worst of depreciation has hit so he still has a saleable vehicle come trade in time.

A few years ago, after lamenting the Holden V8 prices he was lured into trying out a jap imported 2006 Mercedes E550 in immaculate condition with only 46k on the dial.
As immaculate as it was, it dumped him on the roadside 3x in the first 12 months with catastrophic level breakdowns requiring extended periods off the road while being repaired by the dealership. For the most part the dealship was very willing to help and eventually agreed to take the car back.

Now, a few years on, solidly returned to being dirty on Euro V8s and back into his beloved Holdens, he is now contemplating the next car. My family has had a great run with Audi's from 3.0L Turbo diesels, 3.2 V6 A6s and a 4.2 petrol V8 wagon which has so far (fingers crossed) proven to be reliable and problem free despite higher kms and a low purchase price.

I've read some great reviews of the Audi A8 V8 diesel performance and drive quality and I put it to Holden-lover that perhaps he could look at one of them currently on TM, so my questions to the learned message boarders are;

Are they typically more reliable than the petrol V8 version?
Do you know of any first hand mechanical breakdown horror stories?
Or are they largely reliable if all normal servicing and care is carried out?
Any dealers amongst you who have sold them?

Any information good or bad would be welcome.
Many thanks
Lisa

poppy62, Aug 10, 5:22pm
I’m biased towards Euros! So it’s a positive from me. Son has recently acquired a Diesel VW Amarok and really enjoys the drive. I noted that the to engine cover ( the one that makes the engine bay look neat) was off. Apparently this is done to dissipate heat under the cover and allows the under bonnet temperature to be cooler and less destructive on various plastic / rubber components. It has made a huge difference to the niggly problems that a afflict aforesaid components on Euro vehicles. Having said all that I’d recommend at least a test drive and a PPI . Personally I rate the Mercedes Diesels ahead of the very excellent Audi’s.

kcf, Aug 10, 6:22pm
Tell Tony to buy another Toyota / Lexus ;-). Because I know exactly who your friend is.

lisaanahera, Aug 10, 6:52pm
Haha, KCF! I'm a euro fan so of course I'll never tell him that! :-)
Half of NZ probably knows who it is after the "Why Buy Euro" series of columns in the NZV8!

poppy62, Aug 11, 11:59am
You’d have been out of your “length” ( I mean depth) at the Nudist beach wouldn’t you?

next-car-ltd, Aug 12, 12:36am
I ran my Q7 with the BVN 4.2 V8 TDI engine with relatively no issues until 270,000KM when it needed new manifolds as the torque control butterflies had worn out ar a cost of around 6k

Apparently sorted from factory 2010 on by using alloy over plastic.
Apart from that it was a fantastic truck and I sold it just shy of 400km.
Averaged 10.2L/100KM

I now have a Touareg with the same 4.2 TDI V8 motor, just about to hit 300KM, most likely this week unless we go into total lockdown, no issues so far apart from regular servicing ON TIME!

Lighter truck and this averages 8.6L /100KM

Hope that helps

loaderparts, Aug 12, 9:55am
Thats great, thanks Spaguy

intrade, Aug 12, 12:23pm
if you want to know what is good you look what darkside developemt races.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwdIVZ1iwAQ

richardmayes, Dec 7, 3:47pm
From Audi V8 TDi engines to this in just three comments.

Your capacity to make it about you blows my mind sometimes, it really does.