On the hunt for another van.

mrfxit, Apr 7, 9:08am
Can't make up my mind if I should spend $2k to repair my current van (95 caravan TD2.7) which would set it up for another 2 to 3 years before likely needs any more work) or splash out upwards of $6k now for a later 2001 to 2006 van.

Got a few Ford Econovans/ Ford Transits & a couple of
Mitsi L300's on the list so far.

All diesels & manuals.
All seem to have 2.5 engines but no mention of turbo or not, but not dug in to individual spec's yet on any of them.

Pro's & Cons please & maybe some alternatives

poppy62, Apr 7, 9:27am
Mercedes MB100. Just like Intrade has, comes with a $300 torch.

kazbanz, Apr 7, 9:47am
As fresh imports the Toyota Hiace grand cabins are coming up for sale in Japan

mrfxit, Apr 7, 10:10am
LOL
Free sub to Les Mills as wel, might get the deal done

mrfxit, Apr 7, 10:11am
Probably well out of my price range.
Would consider repowering a later Nissan van thats got a dead ? engine/ gearbox/diff
The TD27 & 5sp in my van runs fine.

absolute_detail, Apr 7, 10:36am
Spend the money on your van, at least you know exactly what you have, those other vans wont be much of an upgrade esp things like the l300 which is an 80s van

woki, Apr 7, 10:46am
I would be spending the $2k on the current van , like said above you know what you have then !

vtecintegra, Apr 7, 11:11am
The 2000+ Transit is a lot nicer to drive than most of the Japanese vans but isn't very reliable in my experience (which was back from when they were relatively new). The previous gen Transit (pre 2000) is utter garbage, especially the non turbo version which is incredibly sluggish even compared to a 2.8 HiAce.

franc123, Apr 7, 11:18am
If a $2k repair bill is an issue for you, trust me you aren't going to want a well past its use by date Transit in your life. They are made to last 5-7 years at best and even up until then it wont be a pleasant experience. Econovans and L300's are just tarted up 1980's vehicles designed to appease accountants for a few years/be bought by people who wont actually have to drive them, not to provide safe or comfortable(or even particularly economical) transport for the user. In all honesty I'd keep the Nissan, commercial style vans that are for sale for circa $5k are not really worth having.

franc123, Apr 7, 11:20am
I heard somewhere that you could buy those as a convertible? Either that or the drivers got a soft top, can't remember exactly now.

mrfxit, Apr 7, 12:01pm
Prefer to avoid factory faults that pop up from idiot/ hard drivers
I give my vehicles a hefty workload but I don't beat the crud out of them.
Space inside & maneuverability around the city is about right with the size of the Caravan.
With that in mind, any other offerings I should consider in the $5k-ish price range post 2000.

Starting to see a few variations popping up on TM this week

mrfxit, Apr 7, 12:05pm
Mmmm theres a few things on my van that need work but nothing critical & nothing that could kill it if not done, but still needs doing anyway to make it much nicer.

toyboy3, Apr 7, 12:49pm
What does the $2000 bill fix that another van won’t have that problem

stevo2, Apr 7, 12:54pm
Sorry mate but I doubt you're gonna get a great van for $6k. Especially if you're looking at the Transhits.
Better to put $2k into the van you've got or increase the budget a little

mrfxit, Apr 7, 1:11pm
Yea us old buggers were built better.
Current van 1995 non turbo so a little slow but capable.
2 wof per year/ dearer rego/ dearer insurance for same details/ generally dearer to run.
Some of the reasons I am looking at moving up a bit.
Not that worried about internal cosmetics

mrfxit, Apr 7, 1:12pm
No idea till I have a look at a few others.

kazbanz, Apr 7, 1:44pm
Sorry mate but a van that's an improvement over your Nissan for 6k IMO is a big ask. I'd fix what you got.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 9:07am
How much space do you need? Would a striped out Previa be big enough? Newer, within price, much nicer to drive.

stevo2, Apr 9, 12:56pm
Most of the advert is wrong, like the words "Powerful" etc but the one you're referring to would be "Stunning Looking in Bright White late Silver on Sports Alloy Wheels"

mrfxit, Aug 23, 6:17pm
LOL yep, those "Sports Wheels"
Someones telling porkys with bling added
Almost like a general script
Dirty Speedo / lumps of dirt on the floor/ grubby windows/ generally grubby floors/ Mark marks on the interior draws/ stained door frames (general hand mark stains from opening/closing etc).
Had the cheek to offer it to me for $7900.