Radiator hose burst

Page 2 / 2
tamarillo, May 25, 8:20pm
Woah calm down mate. I simply told a story relating to original post. Geez take a calm pill.

kazbanz, May 25, 9:04pm
sorry mon l think you are missing my point there. In Tam’s case the motor was goosed. Tossing the sealant in isn’t a fix. It just gets the car mobile /drivable to get it to a motor replacement place or to a wrecker

franc123, May 25, 11:25pm
Lol I'm well calm, I dont have the constant stress of my superior German car doing random Thomas the tank engine impersonations like you people do.

tamarillo, May 26, 6:44am
Give me Thomas the tank over Fred the Fridge any day mate!

kazbanz, May 26, 8:57am
THAT is EXACTLY whats wrong in this country. We are so used to fred the fridge reliability whilst being wrapped in Just in there bubble wrap that we expect-nay demand Thomas the talk to be the same

gazzat22, May 26, 10:26am
Maybe a person with a tiny bit of knowledge would know !

marte, May 26, 3:07pm
Replace all the radiator hoses at the same time.
You wouldnt replace just one shoelace would you?

tamarillo, May 26, 4:08pm
Careful you might offend a Scotsman.

alowishes, May 26, 5:47pm
Telling all and sundry in post #21 that the pressuring of the coolant system LOWERS the boiling point isn’t exactly accurate eh. you can’t side-step that one.

gazzat22, May 28, 10:38am
I,m not side stepping anything.! Pressurising the cooling system lowers the boiling point so the motor can run at a hotter temperature without boiling. Compris? Which is why when the cap is released the radiator contents boils.

martin11, May 28, 11:08am
Read this !
Now this is where the beauty of the pressurised cooling system takes centre stage, because when you put a liquid under pressure the point at which it will boil goes up.

As we said, the boiling point of the right water/coolant mix was around 106° C, but that is when the liquid is only under 1 psi (or 1 pound of force per square inch) or 6.9 kPa (or kilopascal – 6900 newtons per square metre) of pressure. However, most automotive cooling systems are designed to operate at around 15 to 18 psi or 103 to 124 kPa.

As the engine gets going and its coolant heats up, the coolant also begins to expand and create additional pressure. By allowing that pressure to increase, the coolant’s boiling point also increases to around 125° C at 15 psi / 103 kPa, which means the fluid in the cooling system can absorb even more heat from the engine without boiling.

gazzat22, May 28, 11:27am
Maybe my phraseology was a bit clumsy but that is what i was trying to say in less words.!

alowishes, May 28, 1:05pm
‘Raises’ the boiling point I think you mean?

kazbanz, Aug 2, 2:42pm
Mate- the key word is LOWERS / RAISES. Your explanation is pretty good if you use the Opposite word