Performance Summer Tyres

gblack, Apr 20, 7:53am
Checking on wear lines, probably going to need a new set of tyres for the car later this year so been looking around a bit.

Need 225/40/R18. Not a performance car, so just need all round tyre with a balance of wear/grip/comfort etc

Have Michelin Road 5 on the motorbike which are excellent in the wet and fantastic grip.

I don't know a lot about tyres, but looking on Hyperdrive who advertise a lot on trademe, I am a bit puzzled at why 'Michelin Pilot Sport Ps2' tyres are about $150 each when most other Michelin tyres that fit are closer to $400 each.

Turns out that the PS stands for Performance Summer. Which actually sounds like they get more grip of anything, but not recommended for locations below 7 degrees.

Given Auckland rarely gets below 7, would they be a reasonable choice for commuting around Auckland? Sounds like they would have to be treated a bit like my bike tyres; on a cold morning, would just need to ensure they warm up.

tamarillo, Apr 20, 8:30am
As far as I know all tyres for passenger cars sold in Nz are summer tyres. Very few put winter tyres on as they do in colder climates for winter. We must put chains on summer tyres to go up ski field.
These are plain janes of range but still good tyres and good value, have them on myself.

s_nz, Apr 20, 9:18am
Many tires sold in NZ are "all season" tires (typically have m+s on the sidewall).

Confusingly they often don't tell you if the tire is summer or all season in there NZ marketing. Often have to look up offshore marketing to find that out.

But unless OP was planning on spending a lot of time driving around the central north island in winter, I don't see an issue running summer tires (which start to harden below 7 Deg C) year round. Auckland is rarely colder than 7 deg.

intrade, Apr 20, 10:37am
below 16 is where summer tyre get hard and winter ones start softer
M&S used to be winter tyre but without snowflakes they are classed now all season. I random get sent ms tyres they dont list them as So you would need to ask to make sure its got the m&s on sidewall for having good grip 7° and lower for the winter that is also in auckland.
blacklion jinyu are almost as good as micheline pilot sport but cost half or less.
M&S stands fro mud&snow but hey its not a winter tyre lol so the i. ot law of 4mm dont apply

gblack, Aug 19, 6:17pm
Thanks all, sounds like they might be a bit of a bargain then.

@Intrade - sites I found do say 7 degrees celsius (around 45 F) is the cross over point.