Reliable euro car

Page 5 / 5
socram, Apr 25, 9:34am
Maybe used Gull or something with a high ethanol content?

The only thing that failed on my Cooper S was the fuel pump - and I only ever used BP98, but I suspect lack of use (often overseas for months at a time) and therefore stale fuel, might have had something to do with it?

strobo, Apr 27, 11:10pm
#106 Besides condemning the micro filter as a cause .The filters in the tank ,inline and at the pump only keeps out minute particulate matter well for one they either block up completely and if there is fuel flow the fuel trims will run out of sync with different octane rated fuel in the system as the ecm will recognize a change in characteristics ,knock sensor , changes in timing etc and need to re cycle .Of course it will shut down.But not reason enough to condemn a complete pump .Me thinks.you are correct re the wrong octane rating confounded the ecm's brain albeit the pump was aok all along, bar the filter service overdue leaving you with the conclusion the pump is screwed .So my other question; is it sorted now and did you buy a new pump and filter?

marte, Apr 28, 3:45pm
We put the new high pressure fuel filter in today & it definately wanted to start, like it fired & turned & coughed & ran for a short time. Then it decided not to start.
The battery was going flat by now, so that got changed for another not so good battery & it started, blew a fair amount of white out the exhaust & that battery went flat too.

So, the batterys are on charge. Will try again tomorrow & if not, take it to a auto electrical because of the quite possibly needed reset & diagnosis needed.

Seems hes now got a Wingroad which was ok when cold, but developed a whiney gearbox once it warmed up. Oh well.

marte, Aug 16, 2:02pm
It turns out its a CVT, & the seller, a 'friend of a friend of a relative' is quite happy they got some $$ for it, so happy they ate not interested in returning it.

But the sound is 'straight cut gear teeth whiney', not at rest, slowly increasing with speed, forwards & reverse, and sounds exactly like the motor sound in the sideview mirrors when you put them into 'tucked in, car wash mode'.