Reliable euro car

Page 4 / 5
cjohnw, Apr 22, 9:16am
Think you might be taking it a bit too personally Tam.
I read that his “attitude” is based on his contempt for old BMW vehicles, which are obviously vehicles you have a personal interest in.
Don’t take it personally mate.
Just my take.

kazbanz, Apr 22, 10:03am
Hang on a mo.
Like you have he is conveying his personal experience.
In his case it was as owner? of a workshop that had to work on them.
in your case its a good run of personal ownership.
Surely you can see that his actual real world experience is as valid as yours?

poppy62, Apr 22, 11:26am
You obviously haven't been to Europe.

poppy62, Apr 22, 11:35am
I wouldn't have thought that E39 BMW would have been thick on the ground in Bluff. He obviously didn't have the right tools or the wherewithal to fix them either, thus the frustration, says more about the lack of qualifications than it does, the outcome of the repair. I've had the same issues with understanding women's logic.

marte, Apr 22, 12:04pm
If you look up any car on the internet, all you get is "Im having xxxx problem with this vehicle" & "Id never buy one of these ever".
Which is enough to put most off this particular xxxx car.
Thing is, nobody writes up anything if they dont have problems with it.

And garages, only see cars with problems with them.

marte, Apr 22, 12:09pm
Audis are as reliable as any other ( jap ) car. Thing is is that you maintain it & you know what parts to replace before they break.
Any individual sensor is as good as any other, Euro or jap, its hoing to break just as often.

Im messing about with a 2000 3.5 v6 GDI pajero at the moment. It won't start & when it did it wouldnt go over 2000 rpm. No codes. Only hint is it went bad when the previous owners wife ( lol ) put 91 octane in it.
They replaced the spark plugs.

kazbanz, Apr 22, 1:25pm
ROTFLMO.

tamarillo, Apr 22, 4:15pm
Absolutely I can. It’s him that’s dismissive of mine imo.

socram, Apr 22, 6:28pm
#84 has it. I have traditionally bought stuff that gets a rollicking but just about every ownership survey published, is flawed in some way or other.

As anyone with any experience in marketing knows, if people are satisfied with a product, they tell 5 people. If they are dissatisfied they tell 33.

I can honestly say that for the the last 20 years or so, I've hardy spent a cent on cars other than regular servicing, a couple of tyres and a couple of sets of disc pads.

I can't even remember the last time I was stranded and needed assistance other than a duff battery about 22 years ago. The classics, not quite the same, but with the oldest now 65 years old and two much raced 51 year olds, no surprises there if there has been an occasional hiccup - and 1 car suffered several hiccups after a Kiwi rebuilt the engine. He thought he knew more about the Euro engine than the manufacturers - and fitted non-original parts that failed within minutes.

blueviking, Apr 23, 7:13am
Volvo.S80 or wagon. Got a older S70 in 2007, which lasted til 2020, when I upgraded to a S60. Did 80,000k and all it cost was tyres and brake pads. Did the cambelt when it was due. Volvo make the most comfortable seats in a motor vehicle, for us oldies.You may even pick up a S60 for about 8k now.1.6ltr turbo. zippy.

kazbanz, Apr 23, 8:45am
Assuming you are correct then isn't that EXACTLY the point?
if garages/mechanics are seeing VMdese on a regular basis with problems and not seeing Toyazdas of the same age with problems doesn't that at least suggest a trend?

poppy62, Apr 23, 10:14am
But the Wreckers are selling Toyazdas parts at the rate of at least. 10,000:1. against the VMdese. Typical of most mechanics and garages I suspect Porkies.

jesus2000, Apr 23, 6:45pm
There are a lot more Toyotas on our roads. But when machines see a lot of BMW problems in their workshops. ?

tamarillo, Apr 23, 7:05pm
Is the single only Criteria for a car it’s long term reliability? This is a pointless argument imo. If it is go buy a white Toyota.
But some of us have other criterea.

strobo, Apr 23, 7:10pm
Very few wreckers hold back euro for parts of mostly failed electronic components, broken plastic or cooked engines, more money in alloy scrap.The demand for jap parts and stocking those parts is strong and makes better business sense.Euro is made to do one job and one job only then it becomes worthless.Only emotional attachment keeps those odd balls going.

poppy62, Apr 23, 7:53pm
The guys at my old yard would say you're guessing!

keith190, Apr 23, 7:56pm
My daughter wanted a swift after having a bmw e46 320 but after driving 2 gave that idea away,So boring and numb Brought a bmw 116 and loved it and no problems Since had a116 motorsport which was a great driving car,she could not believe the difference ms makes and you probably get one for 5k

strobo, Apr 23, 8:43pm
Id say you was a very valued customer ! or a very poor business man.

toenail, Apr 23, 8:52pm
not entirely true. garages service cars and do routine maintenance. and by in large, there are more jap cars than European cars on the road, if the garage sees more European cars needing unscheduled repairs, then their view is valid data point on reliability.

toenail, Apr 23, 8:55pm
No, white paints on Toyota's have had some bad runs. Long term reliability goes to late 1990 and early 2000 Lexus GS and LS. Plus their paint outlast any paint job on Toyota's.

marte, Apr 23, 11:13pm
Turns out its a bad high pressure fuel pump. Somebody put 91 Octane in it & thats 'effed it.
NZ$2100+
https://www.ebay.com/c/2185660194

budgel, Apr 23, 11:17pm
How does the octane rating of petrol ruin a fuel pump?

strobo, Apr 24, 7:59am
I doubt it , but accidently running diesoil through it might shag it but not the petrol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9BITr1zhg

strobo, Apr 24, 8:25am
In other words the viscosity of diesel v petrol will slow down the delivery timing of fuel, the ECM computor unit will struggle to process volume and pressure at the same time and in the correct sequence.so very short injection timing events requires a very fast computor to manage injection so all parts in that system need to be in working order for it to operate correctly.

sr2, Apr 24, 9:12am
Couldn't agree more mate.
Got the "ever lovely" Mrs sr2 a 2008 C300 Avantgarde S Merc. Can't fault the car, stunning handling, every extra you can imagine and all for under $10K!
Had a 94 E320 some years back, still one of the most comfortable open road cars I've ever owned, drove it for 4 years without any issues.
The last thing I want anyone to say at my funeral is "he always drove sensible boring cars!".