Reliable euro car

Page 1 / 5
reggienz, Apr 7, 4:32pm
As I get older I'm thinking I'd like to get a cheaper luxury car that if it craps out I wont be losing to much financially Thinking of a euro of some sort. What's around in that line for around 5K?. Dont need the trusty old 4wd so much these days. I know I'll get the non-experts but I'm thick skinned, lol TIA.

jmma, Apr 7, 5:29pm
Reliable Euro Car $5k, some of these words don't belong together,
Sorry, couldn't resist :o)

msigg, Apr 7, 5:34pm
Plenty of bimmers around for 5k, they are nice to drive when going, good luck.

gph1961, Apr 7, 5:36pm
v8 bima

meow_mix, Apr 7, 5:40pm
Stretch your budget a wee bit and buy a secondhand Lexus.

saxman99, Apr 7, 5:41pm
I’ve had 7 older high mileage bimmers, all have been brilliant. Choose carefully, check/service the cooling system and transmission. 6 or more cylinders. Avoid anything with a Jatco box. Enjoy.

socram, Apr 7, 5:41pm
H'mmm. Luxury car at $5k? As above, a bit of a gamble, but I'd probably be looking at a Jaguar. Plenty to choose from and I accept that you'll get every expert sic) known to man saying Nooooo!

I have never listened to the critics either - and never bought a dud.

gph1961, Apr 7, 5:45pm
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo

gumboot999, Apr 7, 6:13pm
Jaguar S type. 3 litre, leather and wood. 5 to 8 k.

bryshaw, Apr 7, 6:14pm
Forget Eurotrouble and buy Japanese. The auto sparkies won't be pleased but your bank balance will.

gph1961, Apr 7, 6:51pm
ah yes
designed by academic committee

blogzy, Apr 7, 7:07pm
Lexus LS430. (jap import Celsior) I'm biased as i have one. Reliable, powerful, luxury ride. I get 9L per 100klm on trip.(27mpg) A tidy low klm car will cost you a bit more than $5k but then you get what you pay for.

secca2, Apr 7, 7:12pm
April fools day is gone mate. dreaming if you want a reliable euro, and in fantasy land, if you want a reliable euro around 5k.

reggienz, Apr 7, 7:37pm
Not true. There's loads of good euros about from the mid 90s still going strong.

car__parts, Apr 7, 7:43pm
E60

marte, Apr 7, 7:46pm
The idea would be to get the best possible deal you can for $3000.
Then spend the $2000 on parts to bring it up to standard maintenance wise.

desmodave, Apr 7, 7:47pm
What sort of coin are you looking at to do the T belt and anything else in the way ?

marte, Apr 7, 7:51pm
Audi A4 B5's will all need the heater box removed & work done on it. Cost @ DIY is $20 & several days.
Roof lining done DIY $100
Rear wheels brake disc & hub is expensive considering on FWD.
Might as well replace the front complete front suspension arms setup.
Cooling system components. Transmission service.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 7:53pm
You can get an E39 BMW 5 series which is the best car they ever made in many opinions and a great all rounder. 530 ideal but 525 ok. As always get it checked. Weakness is plastic radiator water case but they’re not expensive , I had whole radiator replaced when I bought mine. Parts are easy and always a pleasure to drive. 100% reliable.

tamarillo, Apr 7, 7:54pm
Rubbish and I have the proof at home right now.

secca2, Apr 7, 7:57pm
what car, how many km?

blogzy, Apr 7, 8:08pm
desmodave wrote:

What sort of coin are you looking at to do the T belt and anything else in the way ?[/quote

Negligible cost as i do my own maintenance, cambelt, idlers, seals etc are inexpensive from Rock Auto. I also picked up a couple of quality oil filters, and a few other bits of trim at reasonable cost. Cambelt replacement on the 4.3L is relatively straightforward.
Apart from the quality drive aspect of LS430, the reliability is very good. I have read reports in the US of 500,000 miles with routine maintenance only.

secca2, Apr 7, 8:14pm
this car? E39 BMW series 5? if so you obviously don't run a workshop, horrendous for breaking down, i have older clients who purchased brand new! thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs over the years, i have the invoices so i know, have since stopped working on older euro cars and my workers are alot happier and less stressed! waste of time and money.

laurelanne, Apr 7, 8:38pm
I know of a nineties 3 series BMW sitting in a paddock. The first owners serviced and babied this car then sold it to their nephew 8 years ago. He got sick of the cost of getting a warrant and just parked it up for a jappa. This points to a Lexus for me.

franc123, Apr 7, 9:03pm
The most annoying aspect of them is the early failure of parts that you are highly unlikely to ever have a problem with in the better constructed and cheaper when new Jap cars, at least historically. I'm talking about electronic bits like instrument and climate control displays, plastic water pump impellers (duhh you dummkopf idiots) door trims, headlinings, the mirror surfacing falling off door mirrors, silly bits that shouldnt be neccessary like electrically controlled heater water valves etc. There isnt any good reason for specifying all these unique fluids for transmissions and cooling systems either that must be used or else the thing fail, this is a damn nuisance if you are some distance from a BMW agent. This is supposed to be a premium product, it's clear that it isnt really.