Reliable euro car

Page 2 / 5
duncb, Apr 7, 9:34pm
I was born in Europe in the late 50s. In the 70s we all heard the term "Jap crap". When I came to NZ I soon learnt that the Japanese cars are best. Change the oil and filter regularly, check the radiator coolant level and most of them will last for ages. Worst about European cars is that you usually have to pay an arm and a leg for non consumable parts in NZ. Not to bad if the part is not to heavy and you don't need the car for a few weeks as you can order form overseas. Most 2005 European cars have gone or are are close to going the scrap yard. Yes there are a few Euros still going strong from the 90s but most of the are only doing a few ks a year.

secca2, Apr 7, 10:13pm
Lexus I agree but if you stretch to say 7k puts you in a good market, forget the merc, blown head gaskets (oil/water mix), electrical issues, cracked manifolds, heater controls stuff up, cross flow radiator and the list goes on and on

tamarillo, Apr 8, 11:33am
current one is a 2003 E39 at 170kn, and son's 96 318 at 190km
also had older 525 to 280km and several 3 series all bought cheap and reliable.
E39's easily get to 300km and more.
usually they have lower KM on than Japs at same class and money.

tamarillo, Apr 8, 11:34am
trouble is with Lexus is they are so damn boring to drive and use.

reggienz, Apr 8, 7:18pm
What makes a a lexus boring?

meow_mix, Apr 8, 7:25pm
Lexus are set up for the US market so have soft cushy suspension and aren't really designed for enthusiastic driving compared to say a BMW - the ultimate driving machine.

gunhand, Apr 8, 8:01pm
Whats enthusiastic driving? Where does it take place? I think ive seen some of this "enthusiastic driving" Ive got another name for it.

kazbanz, Apr 8, 8:29pm
Reality is that in the current market any 5k car is a risk. That price is sitting in the "sweet" spot of Could be boringly reliable or might be a crock someone is dumping.
My question for you has to be what is your motivation for specifically looking to buy a Euro car ?
Comfort? safety ? driving experience? Something a bit flash?

blogzy, Apr 8, 8:55pm
If by boring you mean (as in the case of my LS430) whisper quiet, very smooth, luxurious, powerfull, reliable, fuel efficient, then bring it on,I love boring.

secca2, Apr 8, 9:57pm
i don't get this boring thing? seriously you think a euro car sitting in my workshop for weeks on end isn't boring for the owner while all Lexus drivers are still living and not urbering! I've driven some awesome Lexus machines! far from boring

yz490, Apr 8, 11:31pm
V8 Audi Quattro. Love mine, when i can afford to fill the tank.

rbd, Apr 9, 1:15am
Yeah right. Least reliable car I've ever owned. And I've owned three Alfas.
They are rubbish, electrics are a joke and BMW cannot keep oil in the engine or gearbox once over 6 years old.

lakeview3, Apr 9, 7:08am
A reliable older euro car? I am just going to say this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ok maybe my ‘71 beetle was pretty reliable!

tamarillo, Apr 9, 8:54am
and I have run them with no problems and my mechanic sees them well serviced and reliable and doing big mileages.
But the he had a Previa in with about 150km with buggered V6 engine, when started pulling apart it got worse so ended up with replacement. Should we the say all previas are useless.
My bro in law in UK ran BMW small workshop all careers and still swears by older one and runs them for all his family.

If OP was asking for simply transport for a to be I’d be on board recommending japs. Generally better bet here with so many mechanics bought up on them, and yes they’re well made.
But OP didn’t. It’s funny how when OP asks for reliable simple transport I don’t the berate the jap suggestions as being boring soulless appliances, yet you prejudices buggers love slamming euros even when that is what OP wants.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 8:55am
If you don’t get it you’ll never get. Like motorcycling. It’s in the driving experience.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 8:56am
Fine. Enjoy

tamarillo, Apr 9, 8:57am
The badge

kazbanz, Apr 9, 9:55am
ACTUALLY MATE_ THIS is what the OP "said" As I get older I'm thinking I'd like to get a cheaper luxury car that if it craps out I wont be losing to much financially. Thinking of a euro of some sort. What's around in that line for around 5K?.
So in all honesty those recommending one of the big Lexus cars are fitting the bill.
I can't speak for anyone else but in my personal experience chronologically Euro vehicles -.VAG group cars Merc and BMW have a limited lifespan before "stuff" dies. By "stuff" I don't mean motors. gearboxes or bodywork. I mean all the "nice" stuff . Hood linings fall off, Plastic clips fail. Cabin plastic components fall to bits. Windows stop working due to plastic failure. Even though the "guts " of the car stays pretty good it feels like the cars are falling apart around you,
The exception for some reason seems to be ovlov (Volvo)

djrandomguy, Apr 9, 11:41am
406 Coupes are bottoming out price wise, for a good looking car that will increase in value they're worth a look, The V6 is good for high mileage if serviced, the 4 speed auto has a common solenoid fault but any PSA garage has done this job many times.
If you want a soft ride you could look to a C6 but they're a little more than what you want to pay, there is a 2.2 diesel on TM which is a good engine transmission combo.
As for all the euro hate, my wife and I run a 2001 206GTi and 2004 206 GTi/SW both have proven reliable and entertaining cars to own with the SW's load space able to embarrass larger wagons and SUV's.
Let the person buy what they want, don't dictate to them your views. Sure a BMW may not be a Lexus in terms of reliability, but Lexus try to be like BMW, not the other way around. There is no case to be made that the Lexus is the better drivers car, so if that's the buyer's motivation the Lexus could run for a thousand years and it still won't be the car chosen.

gazzat22, Apr 9, 12:37pm
Yes A contradiction in Terms.

rovercitroen, Apr 9, 3:02pm
I think LJK Setright (motoring writer for those who don't know) said that steering feel and communication is the key to driving enjoyment. BMWs usually have superb steering and road feel. So do some other cars.
Jaguars often have light steering but it often has good feel and communication with the road, particularly when cornering.
Worst car I have owned in this regard was my 2005 Nissan Stagea. Nice car but steering just too light and lacking feel. I thought I would get used to it byt I never did. A couple of the best were my Mazda MX5 and BMW 740i.

apollo11, Apr 9, 3:25pm
A family member has a 2015 Suzuki Swift. I got out and checked the tyres when I first drove it, it felt like they were close to flat. Awful thing to drive.

blogzy, Apr 9, 4:06pm
Agree, swift at least the earlier versions deliver an extremely boring experience to the driver. I had 2003 getz that had a better driver experience that swift. That is saying something !

marte, Apr 9, 5:25pm
I drive a 2003 Vitz sometimes & im quite surprised by how well it drives on the open road & around town. The CVT needs ' instructions' in town when turning a corner or its ratio is way too low on exit. ( I hit the gas a bit earlier )
But it sits well with 5 people in it on the highway & overtakes easily @ 100kmh+.
A few others gave said the same too.

marte, Apr 9, 5:45pm
Whats the solienoid fault? Do you have any links to the 'fix'?

I got offered one a while ago and it had that auto gearbox problem & i turned it down. ( Knowing that it could be a easy fix, or not. )
They are a nice looking comfortable car.