Best tool to remove chassis surface rust?

27pukeko, Sep 1, 6:20pm
Hi, good old VTNZ are obsessed with my truck chassis - what is the best tool for me to use to remove the surface rust so I can tidy things up?
TIA

intrade, Sep 1, 6:33pm
what truck vtnz means it be over 3500kg , ok you would want a blast media and then a protection. that would be like 2 grand at a guess if its done right. you can pay 2 grand for nothing of course just like you can pay for a timingbelt job that was never done as peteb2 told on here many years ago. and he was a camara repair guy for tv3 back then. he told me what was faulty with my esab welder . i fixed it with a new board still thankfull for his efforts. He has free work that he never used from me if he ever needs it.

franc123, Sep 1, 6:37pm
Probably a combo of 3M style strip discs on an angle grinder and a rotary flap disc that fits into a die grinder for the bits the strip disc can't get into. If you've got access to a media blaster of some sort then that will help even more.

tegretol, Sep 1, 6:43pm
Water blast it then let it dry and walnust blast it. Allow 2-3hrs at $125/hr (Nelson) then spray with decent CRC Black zinc ($60/L). Not sure where the $2k figure came from.

27pukeko, Sep 1, 7:37pm
Hi, its an Isuzu N series - (class two so not huge). I did pay a 'friend' to blast and treat and paint the chassis for me about 18 months ago, but unknown to me he'd found P and didnt do the full job as it failed on its next Cof. And of course he then never returned my calls, Then my mechanics removed the surface rust, had the chassis checked by an engineer and its passed the last couple of times, but this time it has been noted as a future issue with more surface rust. So I am thinking if i can make a start, then it gives me a summer project! I will give the waterblast a go, and the grinder. Then look into the products noted above to seal out the water and air. Thanks :)

tegretol, Sep 1, 7:52pm
That CRC zinc paint in black is bloody good as it does not trap the water underneath if it gets punctured. I'd be a bit cautious about using a grinder as the resultant marks may raise a few questions about metal integrity.

27pukeko, Sep 1, 8:10pm
thanks! Will go the water blasting and look into media blasting

tegretol, Nov 26, 9:46pm
Yep, sand is a bit harsh on the likes of brake hoses etc, the walnut grindings don't do so much damage. Also, get the paint on asap after blasting or the next day you'll have a red tinge to the 'clean' metal. It's called 'rust'.