Toyota Van

familiadude1, Jan 7, 9:08pm
Just get a toyota voxy cheap to buy cheap to run

oscar220, Dec 28, 11:15am
I'm looking at getting a Toyota van. Mostly I'm looking at pre 2000ish Regius or Super Custom Model, 7-8 seater, as think they may have had an easier life but not really looking to keep the seats but do a basic overnighter fit-out with it.
My main concern or question is which engine should I be looking at. 3.0 diesel, 2.7 petrol or 2.0 petrol or ?
Depending on its user friendliness I may consider it as a daily driver so I only have 1 vehicle but main use initially would be highway use.
Thanks for your suggestions.

toyboy3, Dec 28, 11:34am
What are the annual kms going to be ?

oscar220, Dec 28, 11:45am
Maybe 5,000 to 7,000 k per year. Majority would be highway, if I find it user friendly maybe only 50km per week.

msigg, Dec 28, 12:09pm
Diesel van would cost more to purchase, a good 3litre diesel Toyota will sell fast, hold it's price very well. They do get stolen too. I would go diesel but get a good inspection done, these will do huge KM if serviced properly. Otherwise the 2.7.

franc123, Dec 28, 1:08pm
What other options are you prepared to look at? Those old Granvia Regius vans are rudely expensive for their age and kms and what you are actually getting for your money. I would not be spending big $ on a 'good' one that is currently got seats in it only to pull them out to do a camper conversion which is just more investment on top of an already expensive vehicle. See what is about in the ex rental market, Facebook van forums etc. Remember when choosing between petrol and diesel options in old Toyota vans it's a compromise between lower fuel costs/higher R&M costs or higher fuel costs/lower maintenance costs, this applies to both 4 and V6 options.

tweake, Dec 28, 1:15pm
at those km, petrol.
2 litres are under powered dogs, get the 2.7. the bonus is they are usually cheaper to buy.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 3:57pm
Oscar- honestly for what they are selling for I would really struggle to recommend one to you. NOT that they aren't good vehicles just that for the same sort of money you can buy alternatives a lot newer or lower miles--or both

tamarillo, Dec 28, 4:16pm
I’d go petrol, less hassle less Maintenance and better at short hauls.
Ask Kaz re alternatives though, he knows his stuff.

tamarillo, Dec 28, 4:18pm
What about Previa? Less van like but just as able to accomodate your needs.

sw20, Dec 28, 4:28pm
Those petrol vans all look pretty good. Real tidy condition since they are fresh imports. Be quick, government may want to close the 20 year rule at some stage. Once they do, your van will go up in value as well.

intrade, Dec 28, 5:24pm
yea i got me a trailer now i was looking at the same vans a 4wd noha 1999 was on sale for 10 grand and since i dont want a electronic pump i did ask the seller if it had a 2c-te and the dealer did reply yes electronic and the next day pulled the listing. i would say it sold.
Because i did look at a 2008 sprinter the guy spent 10 grand with mercedes far north and the thing was still as broken i have the repair bill in my emails. after reading i could see what the real problem was. At the end of the 10 grand repair bill the mentioned casually that one injector is marginal.
That injector was not marginal that injector was guaranteed why the rail pressure was low and why the dpf was blocked up. So i can see how somone who pays 10 grand and still has the same undrivable wrack pays 12 grand for a low milage fresh jap import that they know will only need oil and filters for the next 10 years.

intrade, Dec 28, 5:38pm
downside is its 6 month wof as its 1999. as with 2000 you would still get 1 year wof. its a real pain that 6 month bullcrap wof

3tomany, Dec 28, 7:13pm
They all look alright so buy the best one you can find. The petrol will be a bit costly at the pump but like others have said it evens out over the whole period of ownership and petrol has less chance of an expensive injection failure in the future.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 7:27pm
In my opinion you are looking at 1990's technology in every aspect of the vehicle. unless you are looking at the diesel which I feel is the last of the diesel Toyotas that will run on our utterly cruddy diesel there is ZERO advantage to buying something so old.
You are paying what is stupid money for a 21 -soon to be 22 year old vehicle.
I have two suggestions for you.
First would be the Nissan NV 200 2010 and newer. or the Mitsubishi Delica d2 (from memory with the D number) the mitzi is the nv with a M badge on it
They run on the smell of an oily rag. They DEFINITELY fit a double mattress in the back on platform raised above the wheel arches.-you have 2.0m x 1.6 inside the back.
Second suggestion is the Mitsubishi Delica D4 2007 and newer--same sort of price as the Toyota's and they convert really well to a camper.
Third suggestion is the Toyota Alphard/vellfire
By a COUNTRY MILE they have the most space in the back of any passenger van that isn't a "van" well appointed inside. Quiet and modern. The 2.4 is cheaper on gas than the 2.7 regius.
In your local area you are extremely likely to find one that is already stripped out ready for conversion to a camper. And not a country mile from the price of vehicles 10 years older

drsr, Oct 3, 1:04pm
I've had one of these (a 1997) for 14 years now, it is super reliable and the 2.7L petrol engine is basically bomb-proof - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TyE5mATcGM .

For a van it is pretty easy to work on, and the engine-forward configuration is safer than the cab-forward models, although they do still have a pretty terrible crash rating.

They do have front suspension issues so look at the front tyres for uneven wear and make sure you get the ball joints checked for play as these are $800+ to fix. For a camper conversion they are pretty narrow, the Super Customs are a bit wider. Like kaz says they are old technology, but that means there's a lot less to go wrong.