Insurance for high risk driver

bonny28, Dec 26, 6:36pm
Any suggestions on which insurance company to approach for high risk driver? Our son has foolishly bought a car against our advice and now finds our insurer won’t insure him.
Any help appreciated.

kazbanz, Dec 26, 6:38pm
national auto club

bonny28, Dec 26, 6:41pm
Will have a look, thanks.

franc123, Dec 26, 10:12pm
Yep NAC is the outfit to approach for vehicles you're not supposed to own. They will happily relieve you of the equivalent of your monthly petrol bill every week to provide you with cover.

cjohnw, Dec 26, 11:05pm
And you are offering an alternative in this category?
Or just your usual negative comment about just about everything.

franc123, Dec 26, 11:39pm
Nope I tell the truth. If that means exposing harsh reality then so be it. NAC are going to be expensive, that is the reality. up to you if you think its negative or not.

bonny28, Dec 27, 8:41am
By the time I told him to get a quote from NAC he had already taken out a policy with tower. Close to $50 a fortnight. So in around 2 years he will have spent more on insurance than the car cost.
Oh well, I remember being young and dumb. Sometimes you don’t listen and have to learn the hard way. Blardy kids.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 9:14am
$1300 per year doesn't sound unreasonable

annie17111, Dec 27, 9:22am
What sort of car did be buy?

stevo2, Dec 27, 9:27am
Well at least he has insured it.

amasser, Dec 27, 10:09am
Cancel the policy and look elsewhere, while getting his risk reduced.

gazzat22, Dec 27, 10:18am
If he took out Comprehensive insurance my suggestion would be to check 3rd party fire and theft policy cost.

bonny28, Dec 27, 10:19am
2.2 Honda prelude late 90s. He has had tickets and an accident in the past.

bonny28, Dec 27, 10:25am
I told him he would have to keep using the 1300 family wagon until he was insured. I explained how crashing into a Mercedes or something could f%*k him up financially for years and years. Thank god for once he listened.
I just wanted him to get something reliable, cheap to run and not too fast to get him from a to b until he’s in steady work but you know what teenage boys are like.

bonny28, Dec 27, 10:30am
It’s around $50 fortnight for 3rd party. I’d hate to think what full coverage would have cost. I will try to get him to shop around after the holidays to see if he can get cheaper 3rd party. At least he’s insured for the moment.

annie17111, Dec 27, 10:41am
oh ok. My son just bought a Mazda mx5, 1992 and he's paying $50 a month for comprehensive insurance. He's only on his restricted but no tickets or accidents.

budgel, Dec 27, 9:11pm
Well the good news is that if he doesnt make a claim he will slowly improve his ratings with the insurer. That's obviously not going to happen without insurance.

tygertung, Oct 5, 1:54am
I once had insurance with NAC and it was reasonable, but maybe I was lower risk. I had a lightly modified car.