Choose a new car for my Missus

Page 3 / 4
3tomany, Dec 13, 9:12am
Why bother with either when escape has 183kw and more importantly 387nm torque. Turbo engines give more power, way more torque for about the same or less fuel used, are usually better emissions for the environment. But the important part is the smiles to the miles.

shakespeare6, Dec 13, 1:29pm
Love to meet this hubby, sounds like a legend , seen it all done it all and knows it all

nice_lady, Dec 13, 3:30pm
Wtf?

Lot trolls around these woods

shakespeare6, Dec 13, 6:33pm
Sorry couldn’t help myself - just a bit of light hearted banter

gph1961, Dec 13, 7:36pm
kfc

gumboot999, Dec 15, 5:52pm
Best car for a Hamilton to Morrinsville and return daily should simply ,IMO, be based on how long you think you'll live and how much excitement you'd like to cram into every day/trip. Therefore ( with this criteria) my recommendation is a new lime green Ford Mustang 5 litre V8. Ignore fuel economy and similar- it's all about how much you like getting behind the wheel and gassing it and flipping the bird to Camrys, Elantras etc on the way past. enjoy.

cjohnw, Dec 15, 6:08pm
I agree wholeheartedly!
But not lime green.
After all who wants to look like Kermit the frog.

franc123, Dec 15, 11:30pm
What a bloody boring thread, one of the worst this year. I'd buy a beige 2014 Corolla and eat dry rolled oats every morning before embarking on my equally boring rural Waikato commute before I'd look at buying some of the suggested appliances in this thread Zzzzzzz.

tygertung, Dec 16, 7:36am
I think silver is the new beige though.

saxman99, Dec 16, 7:49am
Well, I tried to kick off a decent slanging match at the outset by immediately suggesting BMW eurotrash at post #2, but it didn’t even get a sniff of a comment.

I’ll try again.

Don’t get a Toyota, they’re rubbish.

cjohnw, Dec 16, 8:08am
Well, I was going to suggest a Fiat Multipla but I cant find one for sale on TM.
Bummer because they are so awesome!

tamarillo, Dec 16, 8:22am
Ok, let’s start things up.
Op, most s sophisticated smaller car, with lowest open road noise levels and best comfort levels will always be a golf. Bargain hard on an a new one In stock or wait until new model arrives soon.
https://www.volkswagen.co.nz/en/new-cars/golf-8.html

ginks, Dec 16, 8:31am
Well have you purchased ,or are you another tyre kicker ?

lovelurking, Dec 16, 8:42am
. and someone who is forever posting rude and nasty comments too I’ve noticed 🤣

yendor, Dec 22, 3:42pm
We have now tried a new Civic which went nicely but dated dash layout and noisy.
Also a base grade Cerato, which was very noisy, also a Ford Escape which was good but to big and almost truck like. Corolla Hybrid next.

apollo11, Dec 22, 4:07pm
I agree, took the Mother in Law's Swift for a drive the other day and was really underwhelmed. Steering felt like it was on balloon tyres.

stevo2, Dec 22, 4:10pm
You seem to be all over the place with small cars/hatchbacks to medium SUV's.
Something between the 2 may be a good compromise, try a Vitara turbo, a Kona turbo and Kia Seltos or Sportage.

s_nz, Dec 22, 4:14pm
lol. Little need for OP to make a decision within 12 days. No obligation for them to make any purchase either. At this time of year, if shopping new they might as well wait until 2021 to do than transaction. - Will be a little more valuable at resale time with a 2021 year in the windscreen.

That said, if the company car is going back they will have a deadline in mind.

ginks, Dec 22, 4:16pm
Looks like yendor is a car sales night mare. Has not a clue what they want.

yendor, Dec 22, 8:39pm
We do know what we want and simply that is a quiet comfortable car on the open road. The Escape was simply because they gave us the keys and said have a go and on paper they look good but left us underwhelmed apart from the gem of an engine. My daughter learned to drive in a 16 year old Peugeot 407 and that had less road noise than these new cars.

sw20, Dec 22, 10:55pm
Buy a Lexus and be done with it. Even a second hand one.

s_nz, Dec 22, 11:45pm
A Lexus sedan is the obvious pick if noise is a big buying criteria.

The nissan leaf is also pritty good. Car and driver had this to say: "Only 67 decibels of motor, wind, and tire noise make it into the cabin at full whack. At 70 mph, a speed briefly attainable in L.A., there’s a luxury-car-grade 65 decibels. Noise problem solved"

Sadly acoustics don't seem to be that much of a priority on today vehicles outside of the luxury and electric categories these days, especially for hatchbacks and smaller SUV's.

stevo2, Dec 23, 5:15am
Overseas noise measurements are a lot different to ours as the majority of our roads are coarse chip. The engine/exhaust and even wind noise in our cars cant be heard over the tyre roar.

gblack, Dec 23, 7:52am
Yeap, sounds like the answer.

Originally in the thread, the best suggestion I saw was Camry Hybrid . but not sure the OP has taken one for test drive?

Have done hotlap in Lexus at Hampton Downs, and the sedan was quiet except for the tyre squeal when being punted around the curves at high speed. which you would hope you don't get during the commute

intrade, Dec 23, 8:48am
that is due to frontal impact law. citroen are masters at that making cars that you have blind corners from a A pilar . Did you also notice you cant see out the back on most cars if they had no cameras.