Preventing rust on metal

mone, Aug 22, 12:16am
Is silicone spray a good option for the bolts and metal joints in terms of staying on an not washed off by rain?

cattleshed, Aug 22, 9:39am
Silicone spray? No I wouldn't. Is the metal already galvanised? If it is use an appropriate degreaser and then get it bone dry. Apply etch primer if you are not sure if it does have galv or if the galv looks suspect or if it is untreated steel. Then top coat having given a very light sand with fine wet or dry. If already painted degrease as above and give a light sand and apply several top coats.

msigg, Aug 22, 11:12am
Yes they are cheap thin tin, plenty of paint and even grease on bolts or Vaseline. Keep the water out. All good for 5 years then throw away.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 11:28am
Mone -personally I would take the entire thing to bits-as in strip it back to individual components. I would replace the bolts with the same size but galvanised. Every contact point of any sort I would sand back then spray with primer.Once dry I would then spray at least two coats of spraying enamel. Actually "would" isn't the word. That's what I DID do with a swing set for our kids 20 plus years ago. Miss 8 is still using them

tweake, Aug 22, 12:29pm
this.

tho i would check to see how its made. a lot of items these days are disposable. not built to last a long time. it may be better to build something better than to strip it down and fix it.

mone, Aug 22, 4:37pm
Sounds great when I have the time will definitely give this a try

intrade, Aug 22, 4:47pm
there be nothing left of it by the time you have time looking when this thread started

mone, May 2, 3:07pm
This is not related to cars but asking for tips. We have a new basketball stand in backyard and not covered, what's the best way to prolong it from rust. Should I apply CRC or spray paint the bolts and the surface? I see many others looking rusty after a few months.

bumfacingdown, May 2, 3:10pm
You have to keep the oxygen out, so that covers air and water, you will have to seal them with paint

intrade, May 2, 5:09pm
does the ball touch things if not corrosion-X

rj-001, May 2, 5:47pm
"Flood Penetrol Rust Treatment", which is a clear coating, is good for preserving existing surfaces.
http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/anti_corrosion/penetrol-anti_rust.php
For instance it can be used to "lock in" that surface rust or weathered look on steels whilst preventing any further deterioration. You can also paint over it too.
I was in Mitre 10 a couple of months ago and they had 300g spray cans of it, but it is also available in cans for brushing on.

nice_lady, May 2, 6:25pm
For some garden ornaments Hubby sprayed them with a couple coats of clear coat acrylic. This stopped them rusting for many years.

$20 per can at Supercheap or Repco approx.

tegretol, May 2, 7:48pm
Do yours?

budgel, Dec 3, 11:00am
CRC Zinc it in a spraycan, then a topcoat of your choice.
I have a rack in my old dishwasher that the plastic coating had come off.
I cleaned it up and sprayed it with Zinc it and no rust has reappeared!