Charged for changing O2 Sensor which wasn't faulty

Page 4 / 4
timbo69, Apr 29, 10:28am
Why should op pay for piss poor diagnostics and time wasting part changing?
Changing parts willy nilly shows they don't know what they are doing. Id refuse to pay and go elsewhere.

gazzat22, Apr 29, 11:38am
Arent the OBD,s supposed to take the"guesswork" out of fault diagnoses on cars.I would go back to them and get some action or be off to Disputes or Fair Go.Sounds what intrade would call a Swapatron .! Mind you most places dont employ Mechanics now,they,re all "Technicians"

gph1961, Apr 29, 12:46pm
so when was the last time you went to a witchdoctor?

kazbanz, Apr 29, 2:42pm
You two are "car guys" so you must understand that most likely the OP has it wrong.
Theres an assumption being made and I feel incorrectly that there was/is only one single fault.
The O2 sensor was most likely faulty but it was not the primary fault. Either its collateral damage (very unlikely) or it faulted causing issues further down the line.

elevoria23c, Apr 29, 2:55pm
Thought I would ring to find out how it was going. They checked all the injectors and they are fine.
After 3 weeks or slightly longer they are today still trying to diagnose what is wrong with the car. I am guessing I am up around $1200 bill so far for nothing.
very concerned now.

gph1961, Apr 29, 4:47pm
banks are still lending willy nilly

kazbanz, Apr 29, 4:53pm
How long have YOU actually owned the car?
It just occurred to me that it was dumped by the last owner because of this fault.

elevoria23c, Apr 30, 6:33pm
I have owned it since Nov, it has been running fine until one day a month ago i drove it and then it started playing up. Run fine till that point.

toenail, Apr 30, 11:45pm
Likely to be an existing fault that just reappeared.

Mechanics are not magicians. If you read any repair manuals, it goes through a process of elimination including checking electrical connections to replacing parts depending on the DTC.

kazbanz, May 1, 4:21pm
OK so about four months. long enough for it to be unlikely to be pre existing. Im sorry but I still feel that the o2 sensor was faulty but just that it wasn't the only fault.

marte, May 1, 6:18pm
My car was running cold. One single fault? Yes/No way !
Had to replace 8 (+ another 5 ) different parts before i fixed it, some because once i started work on it, i found other faulty parts, others because since im in there i might as well replace it, others because fixing the original fault exposed other faults.

intrade, May 2, 12:03pm
i would like to know if they ever tested the Fuel? I frequently see in the usa bad fuel in cars leading to as bad as no starts. And with all this enviro crap laws you dont need to wonder.
ethanol defender be a product i would add frequently to a gasoline modern car with Würth injector cleaner . As where diesel you add chemtech flashlube or any other product every now and then.

gph1961, May 2, 12:23pm
bad fuel needs to be soundly thrashed

marte, Aug 11, 10:18pm
The Pajero?
It turns out that with a decent scan tool. Its a crankshaft sensor thats gone bad. The sensors behind the crankshaft pulley, so you have to remove the front of the vehicle, engine covers etc, then pulley to get to it.
And i thought Audis were bad for this, mine, one bolt, one plug & i swapped that sensor.
And. Once thats been done, it could expose another fault too.
Weird, i thought the rev counter was moving, im not so sure i checked now.
Thats 3 x 1/2 days of work but its a cheap part to replace.