Security System Options for an old Van.

machinehead, Aug 4, 9:38pm
I've bought an old '98 Transit and I'm having trouble finding an installer who will put in an alarm for any reasonable amount of money ($600-$700 quotes so far).

I'm just looking for a simple alarm like my previous installs of AVS3010+. These installs have been ~$240.

As the van has a factory immobiliser system, so I only really care that the alarm will sound when doors/bonnet are opened. A shock sensor would be good too, but not necessary if my options are limited.

Any ideas for some kind of piggy back security system, or an installer who is familiar with the old Transits?

msigg, Aug 5, 7:12am
Go to jaycar and get some bits from there, easy to do yourself.

lakeview3, Aug 5, 7:21am
Also get a steering wheel lock (visual deterrent) and install a cut out switch.

intrade, Aug 5, 8:28am
aftermarketalarm are of no use they only cause problems . steering wheel lock are also of no use. you need to think like a thieve and not like how a honest person is going to steal your car.
Basically only a snitch and a phisical hidden mains switch and a mechanical lock who takes 15 to 45 minutes to remove will stall a real thieve.
Snitch gps so you know where to go and get it back. or similar.
Steering wheel lock is removed in 15 secounds with a hacksaw thru steering wheel and then slid off.
i said think like a thieve not honset person. They dont give a rats ass how much damage they do to your vehicle if its fast.
5 minutes is all it took me to remooove the useless mongoos alarm on my fiat. and i could have jumperd across it in 2 or less knowing how its wired now.

machinehead, Aug 5, 11:49am
Thanks for the suggestions.

Honesty, damage to, or total loss of the vehicle isn't the end of the world - I'll have full insurance.

The problem will be the contents. Car audio, work equipment etc etc.

That's why I want an instant deterrent.

A motion detector type of device might be good, but I'll have to leave it totally disabled when my Dog is in the van.

kazbanz, Aug 5, 12:07pm
generally if the price isn't at the $300-$450 mark either at one end its cheap rubbish OR if its more expensive then "they know something you don't" about your specific vehicle.

tony9, Aug 5, 4:13pm
12V electric fence unit, output power to a light dragging chain. Switch where you know where it is. Will easily achieve all you want to do.

pauldw, Aug 5, 8:20pm
Who's going to steal the audio out of a 98 Transit? I don't think there is an instant deterrent. It takes less time to grab tools etc than there will be any response to the alarm. Dark and stormy nights are usually a good time to lose stuff.

two9s, Aug 5, 9:36pm
Or motion sensor linked to stereo recording of the very large underfed dog going off its tits!

s_nz, Aug 6, 12:19am
If it hasn't haven't already got it, consider putting in a bulkhead & metal grating behind any glass windows in the rear.

m16d, Aug 6, 5:45am

mrfxit, Aug 6, 9:32am
Yea had the same issue last time I went hunting for a basic alarm system that had remote locking etc.
All I really wanted was a noise maker with remote central locking & they all quoted around $400+

apollo11, Aug 6, 9:37am

socram, Aug 6, 4:03pm
I'm with #11. Make it difficult to get in. I don't think that too many nick stereos these days as just about every car has one anyway.

Protecting the contents/tools is the tough one.

I defy any car thief to nick my car under its own steam. They could trailer it of course.

No fancy immobiliser systems but two well hidden switches. One in the coil feed and the other in the fuel pump feed.

upnorth, Aug 6, 9:48pm
How effective is the dog?

machinehead, Dec 11, 5:45pm
Thanks for the replies again.

To address a few:

*I love the electric fence idea and video link. That's actually a great idea.

*I have no reason to get territorial over the factory Stereo. I'll be spending a lot of time in this van, so I'll be upgrading many things.

*The work equipment of concern is mainly two machines. One at ~100kg, the other at ~350kg. I will have other tools/equipment, but the machinery would be the biggest loss.

*Separating wall and security screens/grates is a good idea. I still have the vulnerable points of side door and back door though.

*My Dog. She's a lover not a fighter. 😁

*That alarm from Pepsi in Onehunga seems a good start.