Excess for hit and run (Insurance)

onlylv, Jul 22, 9:18pm
Saw this from a local facebook community group that I am in. Someone's car was bumped into by another driver and person failed to answer the calls of her insurance company. She was told by State that she will have to pay an excess if unable to contact the other driver even though it is not her fault. Said "runner" did not have insurance. Further comments by a few others also had similar experience where they had to pay excess for hit and run. Is that correct? I am now with State but previously with AMI.

tamarillo, Jul 22, 9:35pm
It’s quite usual yes. If Insurer can not recover from third party Or their insurer , you pay the excess and only way to get it back is by taking third party to small claims.

joanie04, Jul 22, 10:48pm
I was lucky, other driver at fault and no insurance. She did a runner when the insurance company came calling for payment, They took her to the Disputes Tribunal to recover costs. I didn't have to pay the excess. Mind you I only had fire, theft and third party. Was paid out the full amount of $1500.

intrade, Jul 23, 7:31am
i was born in the country insurance was invented or at least where they invented how not to pay on any claim if you blink with your eyes as that in the small print if you blink we dont pay.

aoc1, Jul 23, 8:45am
We were with Tower when we had a hit and run. We had witnesses and a photo of the other cars number plate and they still wanted us to pay the excess. I fought with them for 6 months and finally got them to refund it. I was asked stupid stuff like have you contacted the driver and things like that. This was even investigated by the cops and they found the car was owned by a company and that was as far as it went. If you have proof it wasn't your fault just keep fighting.

tjholding, Jul 23, 9:15am
Remember an excess is not charged based on fault.

An excess on an insurance claim is the portion of any loss you agree to take on, in exchange for lower premiums.

Insurers can then waive it (and most vehicle policies have a specific clause for this); but if those conditions are not met then you need to pay the excess.

phoenix22, Jul 23, 9:27am
There is no small print in a motor policy, claims aren't paid because the wording doesn't cover the loss, and you didn't bother to read it before claiming

kazbanz, Jul 23, 10:40am
Sorry but that's standard for insurance companies.
Even if you identify the other party the insurance company put stuff in the "too hard" basket if they don't admit liability. Then they charge you and don't bother

firemansgirl, Dec 17, 10:53am
I must have been really lucky. Last year I was hit by another vehicle, the woman who owned it was on a restricted licence and her vehicle had full insurance but her partner who was only on a Learners licence was driving, and for that reason it voided their insurance. They admitted liability to my insurer and I didn't have to pay any excess. I got my car fixed. I saw their vehicle a few weeks ago, still unrepaired and I guess it's because they're paying off MY repair bill. I did feel bad for them, as they're only young.