Paint fade.

Page 2 / 2
curlcrown, Mar 25, 10:43am
"A fool and his money are soon parted." Don't worrey about it, you tried to hepl and got burnt for it. Let the person spend their money if they want. Strangly your advice was great and yet someone else mentions that light can get trapped in clear coat and bonnets can be superheated by the sun and no one said a word about that.

bumfacingdown, Mar 25, 12:08pm
Do you think that perhaps those cars glow at night as the trapped light escapes?

gazzat22, Mar 25, 1:33pm
OP.have a look at the roof also. from my yachting days Blue and Red are the worst to suffer from fade.

saki, Mar 25, 2:20pm
My old TX3 was suffering what appeared to be a similar fate as the OPs car though the TX3 is 30 years old the quality of the japanese paint application is poor at the least in its coverage, spend a fair bit of dosh to make it look good so I can park it up in the shed and use it on the occasional weekend

annie17111, Mar 25, 5:48pm
just curious, what is your job as you seem to know everything about panel beating, spray painting and anything mechanical.

rectech, Mar 25, 6:00pm
If the fade is confined to the bonnet might be economical to replace the whole thing with one from a wrecker. the paint code is on the vehicle serial number

jmma, Mar 25, 9:04pm
Give you a clue. He wears white shoes and has a gold chain around his neck lol
Forgive me Kaz

toenail, Mar 25, 10:04pm
just have the whole hood repainted and blended in with the rest of the car.
no point of doing anything else which shows up like you took short cuts.

kazbanz, Mar 26, 10:41pm
ive owned a dealership for 15 years. It is a big part of my job to figure out repair costs on trade in vehicles and fresh imports. Mechanical and p n p .

kazbanz, Mar 26, 10:42pm
sneakers and a sports watch thank you

curlcrown, Mar 26, 11:10pm
Maybe its the black cars that trap all the light.

annie17111, Mar 27, 8:59am
it makes sense now. You may think he got overcharged but you will be looking for the cheapest deal as it affects your profit. Sometimes you have to pay more to get quality work done, but as you are selling the car anyway it probably doesn't matter to you if the paint craps out a couple of years down the track

inatiz, Mar 27, 11:06am
Wow, I don't know Kaz, but from threads he has contributed to he has given good advice, and I very much doubt he would ever want shoddy, cheap work done as it would reflect on him and give him a bad name. My understanding is that he thinks that maybe Op's car does not require re-painting and with his experience he can give advice if that is the case.

inatiz, Mar 27, 8:07pm
I wonder what others think of this.

jmma, Mar 27, 8:26pm
Just someone that hasn't been around this board long enough. Ignore!

gunhand, Mar 27, 8:54pm
Well, being an other and having been a painter for the odd moon or two and have painted everything from a 1/18 diecast Mustang car (painted same as persons own car) to a Mack truck I have a thought on this.
Ive been involved in doing car yard work. The cars were treated as every other one, correct prep correct colour or blend ( to a panel end) and sanded and buffed to a very respectful shine. I looked at said cars sitting on the lot and can tell you they looked better than even new ones. All done in a very good time frame, even picked up and delivered.
However, all that takes time and effort which adds up to money having to be spent. We didn't do for all that long as they whinged and moaned about price.
I got to work briefly with a guy who did a lot of car yard work. Get it in, buff said panel, mask off find near enough colour and paint. Run buffer over panel for 10 minutes, job done. He was gone soon too.
Ive also had to do repairs on this type of work, oh you can tell by the shiny surface under the flaking paint. All I can say is EFFIN nightmare and costly to do correctly. Not to mention the lovely blend areas that show up after a few months. Look at a some cars side on and you can see a blend one inch into front or back doors. not how it should look at all, the idea of a blend is you don't see it. You can blend a colour that would be a hideous butt match but when done correctly you would never know.
Another good story I was told by a car sales person while purchasing a car.
I asked why front clip didn't match guards, "oh, thats cause its plastic sir and paint goes on different colour" Christ sake, he even new what I did for a living.
DISCLAMER , not all brushes are dipped in the same tar pot.

annie17111, Mar 27, 8:57pm
he also said that the quote of $600 was $200 too much.

kazbanz, Mar 28, 3:52am
and it was. Bonnet paint-blend and pencil touch isn’t $600 . It again that wasn’t the point—main point was that a cut n polish may be all that’s needed.

annie17111, Mar 28, 9:15am
well in my town, that is completely reasonable but then they don't do work for car salesman.

kazbanz, Mar 29, 11:05am
What has that got to do with the need to establish if the work is actually needed ?

annie17111, Aug 27, 7:50pm
I know my husband would never suggest a bonnet to get repainted unless it actually needed it, neither would his boss or his friend who owns a different panel shop. They are too busy to do work that isn't needed.