Paint fade.

Page 1 / 2
vem, Jan 20, 7:20pm
Hi all to the wonderful folks on this forum. question: I have a 2011 Mazda 3 which has the start of noticeable paint fade on the bonnet, colour is navy blue, kept mostly under cover but for some reason has started to noticeably deteriorate with white'ish patches appearing. It's only done 75,000km so I'm definately not in the market to replace, love my car, but sad to see it looking less than immaculate. The rest of the car looks as fab as it should.

What are my options here, I'm guessing it's best to get on to it sooner rather than later, but not sure where to turn. Is this a re-paint scenario? If so, is the local panel beater/painter a good option? Any ideas on the cost?

I doubt there's an alternative, but if so. I'd love to hear what you'd suggest.

m16d, Jan 20, 7:30pm
Anything you do will cost money.
Paint it matt black with a rattle can, and let the next owner worry about it.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 7:59pm
Vem-You might find that for now a decent hard cut n polish will bring it back looking good enough for you. Eventually though it sounds like you will need to get it painted.
Given your location I'd say go visit 'some shonky car dealer in Henderson" - "Im told" the owner would look at it for you and offer more precise advice having actually seen it.
Dunno which one but Im sure someone knows who Im on about

vem, Jan 20, 8:02pm
m16d - Lol, everything in life costs money. thanks for your valued input

peanuteater, Jan 20, 8:02pm
Only one that comes to mind is millers. Im taranak based but have heard they are good :)

vem, Jan 20, 8:10pm
kazbanz - I have no idea who you're talking about. forgive my naieviety, hence why I'm asking here, but can you just get a bonnet re-painted, without the hard-sell to redo the entire car?

peanuteater, Jan 20, 8:13pm
See my last post

dublo, Jan 20, 8:54pm
Should not any reputable painter be able to refinish the bonnet of a 10 year old car to exactly match the rest of the car's original paintwork?

stevo2, Jan 20, 9:12pm
Not millers. Try Millars Car Centre on Corban road

apollo11, Jan 20, 9:33pm
I wonder if it would be possible to get it cut back and clear coated? Assuming the existing blue will provide a good base that is.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 9:54pm
I,m suggesting letting “ someone” looks at your bonnet to give you real advice/ help by “them” looking at it for you. Unfortunately it’s against trade me message board rules to self promote. but definitely YES just a bonnet can be painted . Probably with some blending into the fenders so it is a good match. BUT at this stage it might be an easy fix without painting. To be clear - the place being suggested doesn’t paint cars but can offer specific advice for free

kazbanz, Jan 20, 9:57pm
nope - or rephrase it’s a nightmare and ends up looking at best average

kazbanz, Jan 20, 9:58pm
yep IF it needs painting

muppet_slayer, Jan 20, 10:53pm
The panel beater I use has a special device that analyses the paint and matches it exactly. My 2009 Toyota has had the tailgate and front bumper repainted and you can't tell the difference.

gazzat22, Jan 22, 10:24am
Kaz One of my family members cars has a similar "complaint" through being left outside.I was told a Machine cut n polish would be OK.Clear coat is OK.

gunhand, Jan 22, 5:40pm
Its a spectrophotometer. Very very good item. not always 100% accurate but joe bloggs prob not notice any difference in colour.

kazbanz, Jan 24, 12:27pm
The way I see it there is NOTHING to be lost by giving paint a good cut n polish --if its in the state the OP is describing. Worst case it confirms the inevitable. best case its a fix for the problem

sharchew, Feb 7, 8:58am
Get the bonnet wrapped.

vem, Mar 24, 7:57pm
So I finally went and got a quote for a bonnet re-paint. if anyone else is in the market $500+GST, so just under $600 and they'll blend with the front panels, tidy up the front bumper with it's scrapes, and also shine-up the the front headlight lenses etc. This is the info I would've liked to have gotten when I first posted. so for anyone else interested, here's the quote I got and hope it helps someone else out

intrade, Mar 24, 8:02pm
yea sounds about right. #19 painting cost a fortune, when i last posted about it i was shot down as usual . there is good reason why its expensive

framtech, Mar 24, 9:07pm
The issue is the clear coat, what happens is the sun goes through the clear then bounces back, but some of the light and heat stays under the clear coat and the surface get super heated. some painters mix a little colour in the clear coat to prevent this, best option is try to park your car out of direct mid day sun in the summer. you see this on 1980 / 1990 cars now where the paint is stuffed on the roof and bonnet, and time has caused a complete break down of the paint. you don't get this problem on old american cars because they didn't use clear coat and Nitro lacquer just simply wore off after 60 plus years of rain and sun.

annie17111, Mar 25, 7:47am
my husband works at a panel shop and said that's a really good price.

kazbanz, Mar 25, 9:29am
THAT is totally unfair. Had you taken the advice given in post 3 and post 11 you would have gotten the free and specific information you needed.
You needed specific advice to fix YOUR car. That's impossible to give over the internet based on your words.
The bonnet may or may NOT have needed painting impossible to tell over the internet. A painter is gonna want the work so will say it needs doing.
IMO $600 to paint a dark blue Axella bonnet pencil touch and FINISH buffing headlights is $200 too much. -The headlights end up getting half buffed anyway when the bonnet gets its finish polish.

tygertung, Mar 25, 9:57am
I would say a good cut and polish might be quite effective.

kazbanz, Mar 25, 10:02am
I suspect that's the case-sight unseen though I wouldn't want to promise.